Starlink

/ Starlink #2,121  
When I hear the word adapter I immediately think after thought, as in oops

/ Starlink #2,122  
Dishy 2 is rectangular and the router needs an adapter.

What type of adapter? Any pictures of one?

I found it in the starlink store. Weird they don’t include an Ethernet port and you have to put this adapter inline.

Last edited:
   / Starlink #2,123  
What type of adapter? Any pictures of one?
578894_EthernetAdapter.png

578895_EthernetAdapter1.png

/ Starlink #2,124  
Here is the ethernet adapter;
1646772480411.png

/ Starlink #2,125  
So order it now? Lol maybe it will beat my starlink which still says mid 2022.

Apparently you can’t order anything till your system is ready to ship.

Last edited:
   / Starlink #2,126  
So order it now? Lol maybe it will beat my starlink which still says mid 2022.

Apparently you can’t order anything till your system is ready to ship.
I ordered a mount and adapter after I got my order confirmed. Have the dishy but still waiting on the adapter and mount.

We have a wiring closet and the Starlink router just does not fit, and even if it did, I would be concerned with overheating the closet. Starlink just does not have a good solution for those of us with wiring closets. Not really sure what I will do for a permanent installation but I think I am going to have to cut holes in the wiring closet door and have the router mounted outside the closet on a shelf. We also need to use an UPS to on Dishy and that too will be on the shelf. I don't like that but it is all I got. We might use the ethernet adapter to allow us to run the communications to a router in another part of the house. Maybe. First we will see if we get faster access with some wireless extenders that are part of the DSL network. Not that the access is slow, it is very fast, but we might as well wring out as much bandwidth as we can.

Later,
Dan

/ Starlink #2,127  
Work requires a VPN to access work systems on work devices. As well as a bunch of other security requirements.

We use a different VPN for our home devices.

The transport method, DSL, cell or now Starlink, matters not. VPN protects over all three.

A coworker was hacked via people accessing their wired router which had a hard drive attached with USB. A VPN, or a wired connection to the router, would not have prevented that hack.

Later,
Dan
i also do some work for health care. We have HIPAA training etc all the time. Never have I hever heard we had to use a wired connection. We have to use a VPN to connect to the work server if we are not in the office. In the office I have a wired connection just because of speed. We have a WIFI network in the office but the wired conneciton is faster.

My home office connection is over the cell network, but again VPN so secure.

/ Starlink #2,128  
Long discussion of why Starlink might have removed it over at Reddit.com. Possible theories include;
  • Cost savings
  • Simplify installations for most customers
  • Chip shortages
  • Looks...
Nobody outside of Starlink knows why, so one theory is probably as good as another. I lean toward the "simplify" theory, but I have no inside knowledge.

I can't wait to get my Ethernet adapter and pole mount; at the moment, the router is screwed down to a temporary shelf on our barn, facing the house. We are getting 50-75% WiFi signal strength all over the house at 200'+/- away from the router, which I think is pretty amazing.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #2,129  
I assume the requirements may be different for different employer's. Just stating what I have ran across for Health Care Employer's here. I even had the same wired requirement for an Insurance Adjuster that worked from home. They required wired ethernet. Farmer's Insurance I believe. And as I stated these machines didn't have wireless capability at all. And yes, all of them use VPN, typically Cisco AnyConnect.
Requiring wired ethernet is, in my opinion, to ensure that workers are in the best possible position to have reliable network performance to do their job and to reduce support calls. The vast majority of folks have no idea how wifi works or how to distinguish between functional issues and "my wifi signal is weak so my stuff doesn't work reliably'. Which leads to many types of problems that a help desk might have to field. They don't want to pay their support folks to deal with those problems.

It's (again, my opinion) not at all about security to require a wired connection. No company who is charged with providing secure access to their systems and security of their data is going to rely on an end user's network configuration to provide that security. They will be utilizing encryption (hide the bytes in transit or rest), authorization (should you have access) and authentication (who are you) to control the security of the data. Those things ensure that no matter how good or bad the local network is secured their data and apps will be safe.

Anyone with a modicum of tech knowledge can get around a 'must have a wired ethernet' requirement with a simple wifi extender that has an ethernet port. Thus, defeating any 'security' a wired network has in your home.

/ Starlink #2,130  
With Russia shutting down all the news agencies perhaps Musk could come up with a "dishy" package that could be easily gotten into mother Russia. Think of "Internet Free Russia".
I am convinced that the fall of the Wall was brought about by the flood of information.
I was in West Germany when the Wall fell and drove in (former) East Germany shortly afterwards. It was like driving over a divide going from rainforest to desert.