Starlink

/ Starlink #3,811  
My latest issue is I have static IP's for many of my home devices. The Starlink router does not allow you to set a Static range, and it has been assigning DHCP IP's to devices that takes my static IP addresses causing IP conflicts.

/ Starlink #3,812  
For sure if you have a better/cheaper terrestrial ISP option that is a smarter choice. SL still has some drawbacks like fade out in very heavy rain/snow that a landline won't have.
Unless the heavy rain/snow includes heavy wind or ice that takes out the cable lines. I have actually had very little issue with dropping service due to weather particularly compared when I was using Viasat internet.

/ Starlink #3,813  
My latest issue is I have static IP's for many of my home devices. The Starlink router does not allow you to set a Static range, and it has been assigning DHCP IP's to devices that takes my static IP addresses causing IP conflicts.
You can order an Ethernet adapter and then just use your own router to connect everything so you can set it up as you need.

/ Starlink #3,814  
You can order an Ethernet adapter and then just use your own router to connect everything so you can set it up as you need.
Already have the adapter, most of my devices are wired with static IP. was hoping the Starlink router was actually a real router, but it looks pretty limited. It had been working ok in the past, but suddenly Starlink has been duplicating dhcp with my static’s and causing issues.

/ Starlink #3,815  
I think that you have been very lucky. The Starlink router just does 128 addresses in DHCP, so it would have been potentially shuffling addresses every 24 hours or when something powered on/off. I think that it is ok at what it does, but lots of "options" are locked down. I am sure things are locked down to simplify the configuration and reduce customer service calls, and possibly to reduce exposure to bad actors.

Musk run companies remind me of the supposed Henry Ford line about optional colors for Ford vehicles; "you can have any color you want as long as it is black". Options seem to be generally pretty limited in Musk run companies.

To use static IP addresses you need to add your own router. It is easy to do, and probably a good idea on general IT security grounds.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #3,816  
Unless the heavy rain/snow includes heavy wind or ice that takes out the cable lines. I have actually had very little issue with dropping service due to weather particularly compared when I was using Viasat internet.

The rain/snow fade is rare with SL, for sure. But it has happened 2 or 3 times in the 2.5 years I've had SL.

Weather isn't a conflict for cable here in MN... It is always buried.

/ Starlink #3,817  
Already have the adapter, most of my devices are wired with static IP. was hoping the Starlink router was actually a real router, but it looks pretty limited. It had been working ok in the past, but suddenly Starlink has been duplicating dhcp with my static’s and causing issues.

I am not too familiar with the rectangle dish systems that require the add-on ethernet adapter, but I thought you could put those systems into 'bypass' mode and run it entirely on your own router? You've tried that and it still interferes with LAN DHCP IPs?

/ Starlink #3,818  
I am not too familiar with the rectangle dish systems that require the add-on ethernet adapter, but I thought you could put those systems into 'bypass' mode and run it entirely on your own router? You've tried that and it still interferes with LAN DHCP IPs?
You can put the newer Starlink routers into bypass mode, or you can have your router be a DHCP node to Starlink router (adds a "double NAT" which may or may not be an issue for some users/use cases). The former kills the Starlink WiFi completely, while the later preserves it. The latter may assist for troubleshooting, or may not depending on the problem.

If you never have issues with the Starlink router, and don't want a second WiFi network, bypass is probably the optimal way to go.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Starlink #3,819  
SAT tv is free in many parts of Europe and much better in reaching those in the mountain valleys.

One thing I noticed in the typical heavy thunderstorm downpours or heavy blizzard winter conditions or even snow covered the signal is bad.

Is Starlink similar?

/ Starlink #3,820  
Already have the adapter, most of my devices are wired with static IP.
One of my SL locations is quite rural and I visit infrequently. So I have IP cameras and a Synology NAS running surveillance station to keep an eye on things remotely.

I wanted to use the SL router at that location. Except the Synology NAS wants each camera at a fixed IP. It became a confusing mess to try to do that with the SL router. Adding the ethernet adapter and 3rd party router gave me the control I needed to keep everything straight.

It adds another device to manage (3rd party router) but wasn't that big of a deal.

btw, speed this morning is 12mbps. And it's just before 4am. Have not seen speed like that for a long time-- usually 25-40.