Starlink

/ Starlink #1,051  
I also got an offer and sent in the $99 on Feb 8th.
Who knows this may make Madoff look like small times.
Lol. Mine arrived before the shipping date they gave me...

/ Starlink #1,052  
Given that Starlink is new, and space based, I plan on keeping a redundant service. I would recommend that anyone experiencing dropouts on Starlink consider a router with redundancy to seamless shift data to whatever link is up, to help ride through any glitches.

With our DSL provider, they are no longer offering dsl, so if we cancel we can never reconsider.

All the best,

Peter
At the moment, I think we would keep DSL.

For the last few weeks, my bank has not allowed me to connect with our cell based internet. :unsure: I can connect over DSL but the cell service does not work all of the sudden. Very odd.

Having the back up is not cheap, but it sure is worth it.

Later,
Dan

/ Starlink #1,053  
My understanding is that Google Fi is unlimited but slows downs after 22 GB of data. That won't work for us.

It really is dishonest to say unlimited when it really is unlimited, which all of the service providers seem to do. :eek:

Thanks,
Dan

/ Starlink #1,054  
Could you post a screenshot after you've selected "show more info". I'm interested in the latency more than the download speed.

As promised.

IMG_0725.JPG

/ Starlink #1,055  
   / Starlink #1,057  
Last edited:
   / Starlink #1,058  
Hi all, forgive me for not wading through 1000+ messages. What I want to know is, who has Starlink, for how long, and how is it doing so far?

I'm apparently eligible, they're willing to take my money if I'm willing to pony it up, but I'm not ready to be a beta user or particularly early adopter, I make my living using my internet, and my not-quite 800 KBbps download, not-quite 100KBps upload internet is just the pits, so I'm hoping Starlink is my answer with its claimed 20ms latency. Old school satellite internet was never an option with multi-second latency. I need to SSH into those AWS EC2 instances, and I need low latency. Or for the game du jour, of course.

Last edited:
   / Starlink #1,059  
Hi all, forgive me for not wading through 1000+ messages. What I want to know is, who has Starlink, for how long, and how is it doing so far?

I'm apparently eligible, they're willing to take my money if I'm willing to pony it up, but I'm not ready to be a beta user or particularly early adopter, I make my living using my internet, and my not-quite 800 KBbps download, not-quite 100KBps upload internet is just the pits, so I'm hoping Starlink is my answer with its claimed 20ms latency. Old school satellite internet was never an option with multi-second latency. I need to SSH into those AWS EC2 instances, and I need low latency. Or for the game du jour, of course.

I have starlink, and am happy with it, since it's much better than our unreliable 7 Mbps down/1 Mbps up DSL system (which often does not achieve those specs, and experiences problems anytime it rains for we get more than a stiff breeze.)

In short: if you are not willing to be part of a Beta test system, then you don't want Starlink yet. It's good, but they are still working out the bugs and launching more satellites to improve coverage. With each passing month, our issues with dropouts decreases. They are almost there, just not quite. It's been great for us for almost every use. The one difficulty is with live video conferences. We'll occasionally get a 5-10 second loss of internet. It might happen a couple of times over the course of an hour or two video meeting. My son says there are a few games where he'll get kicked off due to loss of internet connection.

/ Starlink #1,060  
Wade through. And you don’t need low latency to ssh to EC2.