Starlink

/ Starlink #1,141  
I have no "high end" expectations ... I need internet for computers, tablets. phone and TV streaming.
You're more high end than me-- I have no IP phones, nor streaming, due to slow speeds ... :D

/ Starlink #1,142  
OK good to know. Couple of questions:

Is your Starlink router performing routing functions? How can you port forward without admin access?

With your router-behind-a-router setup, do the secondary routers go into bridge mode or access point mode? I'm a little confused how more than one device could be doing routing functions without collisions, or without multiple VLANs.

btw, I would like to add a mesh network when Starlink arrives. Do you like the Deco system?

Without admin access you can't set any of that stuff up. I don't port forward anything. No need. If you need that capability just remove the Starlink router and use your own. It is just there as a convenience for the purchaser. It's only value (besides being an easy wifi network) is the path back to the debug & stats coming from the Starlink controller. If you have a router capable of setting up static routes or that supports DHCP 'option 121' then you can still access them.

Right now I just have the Deco behind the Starlink router. Forgot that I switched the Asus out a while back after no longer needing the hard wired ethernet. The Deco is not set up in bridge mode (not even sure it can do that).

The Deco setup has been fantastic. Really evened out the wifi network coverage in my fairly wide 2-level house. I highly recommend it as a mesh setup.

Rob

/ Starlink #1,143  
Can't you just connect another router to it?

/ Starlink #1,144  
That's exactly what my last post said. Plus it has been mentioned repeatedly here.

/ Starlink #1,146  
Without admin access you can't set any of that stuff up. I don't port forward anything. No need. If you need that capability just remove the Starlink router and use your own. It is just there as a convenience for the purchaser. It's only value (besides being an easy wifi network) is the path back to the debug & stats coming from the Starlink controller. If you have a router capable of setting up static routes or that supports DHCP 'option 121' then you can still access them.
Is the router separate from the receiver?

/ Starlink #1,147  
Someone said there are 2 parts to the system basically what sounded like a modem and a router which could be swapped for your own if you choose.

/ Starlink #1,148  
Someone said there are 2 parts to the system basically what sounded like a modem and a router which could be swapped for your own if you choose.
Was just curious...most of the ISP-provided cable or DSL modems seem to have both in one unit. I forget if the Wildblue unit I had before cable came thru had a router built in or not.

/ Starlink #1,149  
Too much garbeldygook for this old man to deal with.

My take...I have not heard anyone not liking StarLink...yet.

I have crap service so I "got bent over the log" and sent them $99 a couple of months ago to get in line. They may honor that or not...

My power company mapped out our area for Fiber optic but no idea if and when I will get it. So StarLink gives me something to look forward to.

I have no "high end" expectations as I doubt I could understand most of them anyway. I need internet for computers, tablets. phone and TV streaming. $500 and $99 per month is worth it to me if it works.

I'm in the same technology category as you. Don't care what the technology is called as long as it worked.

It works and it works better than I anticipated. We can wifi call like were on a landline, stream movies and surf the net at the same time.

It's real and it's fabulous.