Starlink

/ Starlink #1,241  
An alternative if you have power in the garage is to place the Starlink controller and router there and then connect to house via point-to-point wireless or fiber.

Rob
I do have power to the garage but it isn't heated. I would have to put the Starlink Router in a heated electronics enclosure unless it is temperature hardened to -10F or so. I may go this route if I can get a wireless connection between the Starlink router and the one I'm using now in the house. I have plug in connections on the house router which, as I understand it, the Starlink router will not accept.

Last edited:
   / Starlink #1,242  
I do have power to the garage but it isn't heated. I would have to put the Starlink Router in a heated electronics enclosure unless it is temperature hardened to -10F or so. I may go this route if I can get a wireless connection between the Starlink router and the one I'm using now in the house. I have plug in connections on the house router which, as I understand it, the Starlink router will not accept.
If it were me, I would try it, see how things are, and go from there. You can get directional WiFi antennas to bridge the distance relatively cheaply, assuming you don't have things blocking the sight line from the garage to the house.

I doubt that you need a heated enclosure, just keep it dry and relatively free of dust.

I hope that it works for you.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #1,243  
The power module for the Starlink fish and router gets SUPER hot, actually melted a plastic shelf I had it on. I now have it on a metal trivet. If you put that and the router in a light enclosure or smal
Room that won’t block the signal it’ll keep itself warm. You can still use your old router just have to wire it to the Starlink one… though I personally went with an outdoor wifi antenna from Amazon for my property which has lots of outbuildings and that works great

/ Starlink #1,244  
I'm unsure exactly what you mean by this:

"I have plug in connections on the house router which, as I understand it, the Starlink router will not accept."

The Starlink router has one downstream ethernet port which you can plug either a client or another router into. I plug my TP-Link Deco mesh system into it.

Rob

/ Starlink #1,245  
Does anyone know what the average power consumption is over the course of a day? They quote 100W which is massive for something running 24x7. Aside from HVAC, for a typical home that will be the single largest power consumer, and considerably more than a fridge which is what people usually identify as the biggest consumer. My house is off grid and it would represent a 50% increase in my total daily power consumption.

/ Starlink #1,246  
Does anyone know what the average power consumption is over the course of a day? They quote 100W which is massive for something running 24x7. Aside from HVAC, for a typical home that will be the single largest power consumer, and considerably more than a fridge which is what people usually identify as the biggest consumer. My house is off grid and it would represent a 50% increase in my total daily power consumption.
Yes, it is roughly 80-100W, but appears to be trending gradually lower over time. Whether the reduced load are hardware or software or orbit changes is difficult to discern at a distance, but probably a bit of all of them. Plus, some of that power feeds the router as well.

These are radios pushing a signal 300 miles. You do need some power to do that.

The new mobile antennas have a radiated power of ~3.8W, so there is room for improvements in efficiency...

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #1,247  
Yes, it is roughly 80-100W, but appears to be trending gradually lower over time. Whether the reduced load are hardware or software or orbit changes is difficult to discern at a distance, but probably a bit of all of them. Plus, some of that power feeds the router as well.

These are radios pushing a signal 300 miles. You do need some power to do that.

The new mobile antennas have a radiated power of ~3.8W, so there is room for improvements in efficiency...

All the best,

Peter
Thanks. That's really helpful. I have DSL now and it works, but it's slow and unreliable. I can get fiber, but it's about $3000 for the installation because I'm a long way from the last pole. I'm also in the queue for Starlink, but the power consumption has a major impact on me, and would probably require adding more solar panels, likely offsetting the installation cost of fiber. We have no cellular, and no prospect of it ever coming.

/ Starlink #1,248  
I'm unsure exactly what you mean by this:

"I have plug in connections on the house router which, as I understand it, the Starlink router will not accept."

The Starlink router has one downstream ethernet port which you can plug either a client or another router into. I plug my TP-Link Deco mesh system into it.

Rob
Thanks for the information on the Starlink router. I assume it isn't wireless.

My Netgear Nitehawk wireless router, located in the house, has 6 ethernet ports of which I'm using 2. What I meant to say was, I won't be able to plug these devices, plus the Nitehawk wireless router into the Starlink since it only has one port. I understand that I can leave the 2 devices where they are and just plug the Nitehawk into the single port on the Starlink.

The problem is, the Starlink will be in the garage and somehow, I've got to get it connected to the Nitehawk in the house. I can't put the put the Nitehawk in the garage with the Starlink router due to the various adjustments and connections that I frequently change.

I'm looking at various ways to do this, hopefully using a wireless system of some sort.

Obviously I'm a novice at this so I appreciate your help.

/ Starlink #1,249  
I have seen tests showing the original Starlink router/dish used 80-110 watts. The latest version of the Starlink router/dish are showing usage in the 60-80 watt range.