Starlink

/ Starlink #1,361  
Moved the dish out of the field and a bit closer to the house, turned the 5GHz WiFi on. I can just get a signal from it to inside the house. Speed test is now 102Mb down 15.6 up 30 ms. Next will be to get some cat 5 to where the router and POE injector is. I don't have any near by neighbors, so the spectrum is all mine. :)

/ Starlink #1,362  
Boy, I'm old school and I'm lost on what you guys are talking about, I can turn computer on . Anyplace I can learn what you are talking about?

/ Starlink #1,363  
Boy, I'm old school and I'm lost on what you guys are talking about, I can turn computer on . Anyplace I can learn what you are talking about?
Google

/ Starlink #1,364  
Hmm, i don't have a good way to measure current draw. If i come up with something, i'll post results.

/ Starlink #1,365  
Well here are a few links on WiFi;

The highlights are that because Starlink has the potential to be not only fast (80Megabits/sec (Mbps)), but possibly very fast (400Mbits/s), or if you believe Elon, super duper fast (800Mbits/s), you might want to spend a little time getting the kinks out of your WiFi system for the best performance. The two common wireless radio frequency (WiFi) bands are 2.4GHz that has longer range but is slower (8-600Mbits/s, depending on the protocol, or "language" used on that frequency), and the other is 5GHz, which is generally faster (up to 1300Mbits/s), but obstructions like walls and just plain longer range are a bigger problem for it. In all speed cases, the max speeds would be measured a foot or two from the source of the wireless (your router usually, but in some houses an access point, which is a WiFi transmitter/receivers hat is wired back to your router). Directly wiring your computer or TV up is likely to give you the fastest speeds, but not everyone can do that easily, e.g. my crawl space is about ten inches high and I barely fit, so running new Ethernet cables aren't a great way to speed a day. Plus, I am not that thrilled to be in a tight space under a building in earthquake country, but that's just me...

So...if you are not using a good choice of WiFi (band and protocol), or if you have wired the Starlink up to your existing network in a suboptimal way, you may not see as much speed from your Starlink connection as you could. E.g. @cqaigy2 changing from 2.4GHz to 5GHz and picking up 2-3X in speed. If this is all too complicated, you can also just use the Starlink router out of the box, but do try to turn on the 5GHz WiFi, and use it if you can.

Does this help?

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #1,366  
Off topic, but can't resist ...

I met a guy years ago who discovered that wifi router frequencies had some overlap with HAM radio frequencies. Off-the-shelf routers were limited to (I think) to 600mw, but a licensed HAM on that same frequency could legally broadcast at 50-1500 watts, i.e. 50 to 150 times the power of a stock wifi router.

He installed "Tomato" firmware on a Linksys WRT54G router, which gave him control of xmit power. He upped the power into HAM radio levels, and was getting a realiable wifi signal ... drum roll ... 10 MILES AWAY! Aaahhh. Imagine that ....

But, he quickly fried the chips/circuit board in the Linksys router at that power level. Last I knew, he had built a small radiator that sat on top of the main chip of the router-- and was pumping water through it to dissipate heat-- just like in a vehicle.

I think of him every time I hear mention of wifi performance. :LOL:

/ Starlink #1,367  
Off topic, but can't resist ...

I met a guy years ago who discovered that wifi router frequencies had some overlap with HAM radio frequencies. Off-the-shelf routers were limited to (I think) to 600mw, but a licensed HAM on that same frequency could legally broadcast at 50-1500 watts, i.e. 50 to 150 times the power of a stock wifi router.

He installed "Tomato" firmware on a Linksys WRT54G router, which gave him control of xmit power. He upped the power into HAM radio levels, and was getting a realiable wifi signal ... drum roll ... 10 MILES AWAY! Aaahhh. Imagine that ....

But, he quickly fried the chips/circuit board in the Linksys router at that power level. Last I knew, he had built a small radiator that sat on top of the main chip of the router-- and was pumping water through it to dissipate heat-- just like in a vehicle.

I think of him every time I hear mention of wifi performance.
HAMS can legally access some WiFi frequencies adjacent to 2.4ghz WiFi frequencies. So some have created custom firmware that permits these frequencies & if memory recalls higher power levels.

However HAN radio is more technically called armature radio. It is illegal to use to sell stuff on or for any commercial or business uses. Pretty much any modern Internet page is commercial or had adds on it. So do any cool & useful HAM stuff is off the table. You are better off using other protocols & frequencies really.

/ Starlink #1,368  
So...my next question what to do about the starlink router, where it will come into the house will provide excellent coverage, but the lack of a firewall should i be worried? what optional equipment do you recommend with the router they give. i appreciate it.

/ Starlink #1,369  
So...my next question what to do about the starlink router, where it will come into the house will provide excellent coverage, but the lack of a firewall should i be worried? what optional equipment do you recommend with the router they give. i appreciate it.
it will have a firewall, if you don't need to do anything special. your prolly be fine.

/ Starlink #1,370  
There is also the issue of double NAT; if you are using your router and the Starlink router, it is a good idea to turn off the DHCP service on your router, and make sure that your router knows the gateway is the Starlink router. Having double NAT will definitely slow you down.

All the best,

Peter
not really. i have routers in places that have quad nat, due to restrictions it runs fine. alot of people are behing cg-nat which is double nat and it runs just fine as well. the only time double nat is annoying is for port forwarding.

and i have 2.4 devices that can do well over 100+mbit, more then fast enough for most people