Starlink

/ Starlink #2,341  
I have the adapter and I am very pleased at how it is working with my existing system. No need for a switch since it goes to an ASUS RT-AC68 setup with a mesh configuration. I have the Starlink router in bypass mode so I don't have to re-address or assign the static IP's or login the wifi devices. It was a seamless conversion from my AT&T WHPI service since the ASUS is still managing my network. All I did was disconnect ethernet plug from AT&T and connect to Starlink adapter. All of 5 minutes and up and running everything as usual, just a lot faster.👍
That is about all I did except I didn't even bother putting the Starlink router in bypass, it just sits there as another avilible wifi link with the Starlink adapter going to my netgear router.

/ Starlink #2,342  
That is about all I did except I didn't even bother putting the Starlink router in bypass, it just sits there as another avilible wifi link with the Starlink adapter going to my netgear router.

I'm doing the same thing with no issues. The Starlink router is in the basement and when I am there in the workshop or riding my indoor bike trainer I use Starlink Router wifi and when on the main floor I use the ASUS AX mesh. It is working without any apparent issues.

/ Starlink #2,343  
Looks like at least 1 person is getting functionality running their dish on the road.

/ Starlink #2,344  
With the ethernet adapter I now have good enough speeds (there are some obstructions) on the main floor of my house to consider dumping Dish Network and trying a service like YouTube Tv. Other than local channels we regularly watch only 4 other stations on Dish. It looks as if YouTube TV can get us local channels and the others we watch for almost half the cost of Dish. From browsing the YouTube TV reddit it looks as if there are some folks using Starlink and YouTube. Anyone here use this or some other streaming service without any issues?

/ Starlink #2,345  
Yes, I use YouTube TV. Have had it since before Starlink (on AT&T hotspot ISP). It works fine and is a pretty good service. The interface makes it look almost exactly like a standard cable TV guide setup. Plenty of on-demand access and the channel selection is good. If you get YouTube TV and it isn't correctly identifying your location (due to some ISP's routing your connection through a central datacenter (I'm in MN but the IP I get with either Starlink or AT&T is geo-tagged to Chicago) YouTube has a way to allow you to access a web page on your phone and allow it to access your GPS location to verify you to your actual address.

The only complaint I have with YouTube TV is the price. I signed up when it was $49.99/mo and within 3 months they raised their price to $64.99. It's been at that now for about 2 years. I would much prefer an a la carte channel selection with per-channel prices so I could just pay for what I actually watch - probably fewer than 6 channels.

Starlink is MORE than capable of supporting any streaming service. We routinely have two different TVs streaming stuff and probably another kid playing Playstation online games and there is never an issue.

/ Starlink #2,346  
With the ethernet adapter I now have good enough speeds (there are some obstructions) on the main floor of my house to consider dumping Dish Network and trying a service like YouTube Tv. Other than local channels we regularly watch only 4 other stations on Dish. It looks as if YouTube TV can get us local channels and the others we watch for almost half the cost of Dish. From browsing the YouTube TV reddit it looks as if there are some folks using Starlink and YouTube. Anyone here use this or some other streaming service without any issues?
I'm looking at doing the same thing. So far, I haven't found a way to record programming on a DVR and edit out commercials. This is easily done with my Dish DVR. We get local channels via an antenna and it connects to the Dish DVR for recording & editing. I refuse to spend a third of my TV viewing time watching ads for products I will never use.

Youtube TV does offer a "DVR" service as part of their package but it's $65/mo and not all that much cheaper than my Dish bill.

This DVR service uses off site storage which means you can't use it during an internet outage. Sure, the Dish service goes out occasionally but you can still watch programming stored locally on the DVR. With the "Dish Anywhere" app, you can stream programming & DVR content to your devices at home or anywhere there is internet service. This means I can record local news & other programming on the DVR and watch it anywhere in the world.

Yeah, we pay Dish for 200+ channels and only watch 6 or so. The problem is, those 6 are not available on any streaming service I've found.

This idea must have merit though since I have several friends who stream their TV programming. Hopefully, others here will offer tips on how they do it.

/ Starlink #2,347  

We have been streaming over our slow 1.5mpbs DSL for years, then over the cell Internet, and now over Starlink. With DSL we might get stoppages while the stream buffered but it was not too bad. With the faster services it is just that much better. Disney, Amazon, NetFlix and YouTube stream just fine on Starlink.

We watch quite a bit of content on YouTube but we don't buy YouTube TV. I could easily spend all day and night watching the content on YouTube if I had the time. :ROFLMAO:

We don't watch any of the big network TV channels and just watch some over the air channels for the reruns along with PBS, if they have anything interesting playing, which is becoming less and less. Kinda sad commentary that the best thing on network TV are shows made a half century ago... The Carson Tonight Shows reruns are not only funny but history that is interesting to watch.

We spend more time watching YouTube content than over the air TV or any other streaming service.

Later,
Dan

/ Starlink #2,348  
I’m using HULU with StarLink. Comparable to YoutubeTV. HULU had issues at first with my location but that has settled down. I was up to 3 of 4 annual allowed moves/relocations and was prepared to dump them. They just went from $70 to $75 a month though. I subscribe through ROKU so switching to YoutubeTV or another would be simple if necessary. Few carry the Weather Channel.

Here is a good shopping guide:

Best Streaming Services for 2022: Every Option Explained

Last edited:
   / Starlink #2,349  
Well Dishy survived it's first bout with Winter weather. We got 8" of heavy wet snow yesterday that took out my satellite TV service until I cleaned off the dish. While I was up there, I also checked the Starlink dish and there wasn't a flake on it. We'll see what this feature actually costs when I get my next electric bill however.

I was encouraged by the fact that there was no noticeable performance reduction during the height of the snowstorm.

/ Starlink #2,350  
Well Dishy survived it's first bout with Winter weather. We got 8" of heavy wet snow yesterday that took out my satellite TV service until I cleaned off the dish. While I was up there, I also checked the Starlink dish and there wasn't a flake on it. We'll see what this feature actually costs when I get my next electric bill however.

I was encouraged by the fact that there was no noticeable performance reduction during the height of the snowstorm.
What kind of speed do you usually get from Starlink?