Starlink

/ Starlink #3,631  
Best Effort completely blew away our DSL. Can you still opt in?
I can but I'm still getting by using phones as hotspots for now. We have a total of 145 gigs per month. We ran out this month and purchased 20 more gigs for $20. I do wish I had it tonight though. I'm updating a game and it's 4.5 gigs. It's going to take hours. I'm considering taking best effort now.

/ Starlink #3,632  
I can but I'm still getting by using phones as hotspots for now. We have a total of 145 gigs per month. We ran out this month and purchased 20 more gigs for $20. I do wish I had it tonight though. I'm updating a game and it's 4.5 gigs. It's going to take hours. I'm considering taking best effort now.
Lemme tell you a little story…

several years back, I reached th point where I had to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10. On the DSL it took five days. Mainly because we didn’t have a stable connection. I would start the download as I went to bed, and in the middle of the night the connection would drop and I would have to start over the next morning, when the connection would drop again…

finally, on night Four, the connection stayed up and the download completed after 22+ hours.

A couple months later, Mrs’ laptop needed to update too, and we were on vacated in Florida and she had access to cable Internet and it took 7 minutes, and that was just an25 MBPS down speed.

we are regularly 60MBPS plus down.

Do it.

DO
IT

/ Starlink #3,633  
How do you get best effort, I see nothing about it on the Starlink web site.

/ Starlink #3,634  

I had order in, and Starlink offered one early as best effort, before they had capacity. So you order and wait.

/ Starlink #3,635  
Lemme tell you a little story…

several years back, I reached th point where I had to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10. On the DSL it took five days. Mainly because we didn’t have a stable connection. I would start the download as I went to bed, and in the middle of the night the connection would drop and I would have to start over the next morning, when the connection would drop again…

finally, on night Four, the connection stayed up and the download completed after 22+ hours.

A couple months later, Mrs’ laptop needed to update too, and we were on vacated in Florida and she had access to cable Internet and it took 7 minutes, and that was just an25 MBPS down speed.

we are regularly 60MBPS plus down.

Do it.

DO
IT
I gave up trying to do any computer updates on our old DSL. Before I got Starlink, I used to take our laptops down to the local McDonalds and use their free WiFi. Depending on the type of update, it would take less than a half hour, just enough time for a Big Mac and a cup of coffee.

Now, with Starlink, most downloads happen so quickly, I hardly have time to take a sip from my coffee mug!

Of course this all depends on the size of the download files but the difference is amazing!

/ Starlink #3,636  
I got the message today, thT I am upgraded to residential.
When I look at advanced it doesnt offer another speed test so here is the basic one.
IMG_0199.png

/ Starlink #3,637  
When I try to run the advanced speed test I get
IMG_0205.png

When I look at debug data I see

IMG_0206.png

Should the router be connected?

/ Starlink #3,638  
When you sign up, you go on the waiting list.

if you are in an are with “sub-optimal” coverage, but enough to get you going, you get an mail telling you that you can opt in to the Best Effot —- it isn’t something you can sign up for proactively. If you are on the waiting list but in an area with good coverage, you may not even see the Beat Effort stage, but go right into full service.

wither way, you gotta be on the waiting list first.

/ Starlink #3,639  
I had order in, and Starlink offered one early as best effort, before they had capacity. So you order and wait.
I called it ”The Waiting-and-Waiting List” 🤣

/ Starlink #3,640  
Hi BEF!

hope your stay in durance vile ends quickly!