Starlink

/ Starlink #3,731  
I used the app to scan the sky to find a location, once my equipment does arrive.

The best I can get is about 10% obstructed view. It‘s scattered treetops that are blocking.

Wonder how much of an issue that will be?
It will definitely be noticeable. Unobstructed view is vital for the dish to track the sats as they come into view and work their way across the sky. Note that it matters exactly where you are scanning with your phone. It must be in the exact location where the dish will be mounted in all three dimensions.

/ Starlink #3,732  
I used the app to scan the sky to find a location, once my equipment does arrive.

The best I can get is about 10% obstructed view. It‘s scattered treetops that are blocking.

Wonder how much of an issue that will be?
Will it work, yes, will it be optimal, no. I was running about a 19% obstruction when I first got Starlink. It took a long time, 2 days, for it to find itself and download all the latest software. Then occasionally I would get a short period, 5-15 seconds, where nothing would load. No big deal for reading email or surfing the web... not so good for video conferences or streaming. I have since moved dishy where I am only getting about 1% obstruction and I can use Starlink for anything without issues.

/ Starlink #3,733  
Ive been happy with my starlink service. However I have my router/wireless set up in my attic on the other side of the house. In the master bedroom I don’t always get a signal. I think I am going to put a mesh node in the attic on this side if the house to make it better.

/ Starlink #3,734  
We've been very happy with the service and usually don't even think about it. That's so much better than our old wifi hotspot and phone tethering. Last week my son and I both had to download a 45 gbit update for a game. I scheduled mine to update overnight but he didn't. His download speed for the update was about 120 mbps even though I was playing at the time.

/ Starlink #3,735  
Has anyone purchased the roaming and later switched to the residental model when it became available in their area? If so what is involved, do you have to get a new dish and hardware or can you use the dish you already have?

/ Starlink #3,736  
Has anyone purchased the roaming and later switched to the residental model when it became available in their area? If so what is involved, do you have to get a new dish and hardware or can you use the dish you already have?
I haven't used roaming, but in watching Starlink info in various venues I believe that the hardware is identical.

/ Starlink #3,737  

I first bought RV unit while waiting for home unit. Then got home unit 3 months later. At the time you couldn’t switch RV to home, but I believe you can now.
I just sold my RV unit to another TBN person. Not sure what service they subscribed to with it.

/ Starlink #3,739  
I first bought RV unit while waiting for home unit. Then got home unit 3 months later. At the time you couldn’t switch RV to home, but I believe you can now.
I just sold my RV unit to another TBN person. Not sure what service they subscribed to with it.
How did your speed compare from the RV to home unit and did you have any obstructions

/ Starlink #3,740  
How did your speed compare from the RV to home unit and did you have any obstructions

I turned RV off when I got the home unit. Swapped the antenna on the roof and the modem. Speed tests vary, can’t say speed varied any. No obstructions.