Starlink

/ Starlink #3,981  
I have pretty much given up using Starlnk. My daughter and granddaughter were here a few weeks ago and had brought her Xbox and connected through the Starlink. I watched the progress line as she tried to download a large file. It started out fast, but at about 33% it started to slow down. it was like somebody was turning off a faucet. By the time it got to 50% the data had stopped flowing. Tried it three times and failed. Switched to the local wireless ISP and it downloaded it flawlessly. It was initially a bit slower, but by the time it got to 25% it was obviously faster than Starlink at that point.
I've had the same problem streaming videos. After a while Starlink throttles the feed and I end up trying to watch an HD video on an 4K TV in 480p.
My son and I update/download games on two Xbox's all the time and never have a problem.

/ Starlink #3,982  
Maybe you didn't have enough room on the PC for the game? Or you hit your data limit?
Or maybe try in off peak times.
I have downloaded a couple of war games - one is 80 plus gigs no problems
This Monday late AM 187 down and 19 up (y) Plenty good enough for games.

/ Starlink #3,983  
Imagine if the federal government quit subsidizing Amtrak because of the high per rider costs. It would cease to exist. I'm not in favor of either btw.
Not sure how big of a loss it would be. Maybe if you commute in the Boston-Washington corridor it has it's use, but otherwise it seems a rather inconvenient way to get anywhere.
Not going to happen anytime soon with the new government travel requirements for employees requiring train travel.
What would those be? Only thing I could find is that government employees get a discount for business travel.

/ Starlink #3,984  
   / Starlink #3,985  
And "high per-subscriber cost"?? Do you live in rural areas? The $90 I pay for Starlink is cheaper than any other rural ISP option out there.
I live in a rural area, northeast Ms. My 100 Mbps up/down costs $54.90/month but I could get 1 Gbps up/down for $84.90 (and no equipment cost). Which is still cheaper than $90.

/ Starlink #3,986  
I live in a rural area, northeast Ms. My 100 Mbps up/down costs $54.90/month but I could get 1 Gbps up/down for $84.90 (and no equipment cost). Which is still cheaper than $90.

You're fantastically lucky then. Here in rural MN there are typically no other options than DSL (within a certain radius of towns, due to copper line limits) or fixed-point wireless. Neither is typically less than $100/mo. Obviously cellular hotspots are available but those normally are near $100/mo too.

/ Starlink #3,987  
Around my area the fixed wireless is running less then Star Link. That was what I had previously, I'm paying $30-$40 more a month and am having serious doubts if it's worth it.

/ Starlink #3,988  
Around my area the fixed wireless is running less then Star Link. That was what I had previously, I'm paying $30-$40 more a month and am having serious doubts if it's worth it.
The fixed wireless option here would have required approx $1500 initial investment in an antenna tower to get the receiver above the height of other area groves and hills. Way more $$ than Starlink for much lower speeds in our case. Folks should be lucky if you have other good options to choose from. Many people don't. Especially out in more sprawling western states (not the coast).

/ Starlink #3,989  
The fixed wireless option here would have required approx $1500 initial investment in an antenna tower to get the receiver above the height of other area groves and hills. Way more $$ than Starlink for much lower speeds in our case. Folks should be lucky if you have other good options to choose from. Many people don't. Especially out in more sprawling western states (not the coast).
There are a lot of areas that have very poor and or limited Internet services available to them. I may be in upstate New York but I can guarantee you that many people up here have almost no access to high speed internet. It is actually harder here then many areas because of all the hills and valleys. You may think of your area as more sprawling but don't count on it. Today I went to my "local" big box store for a curb side pickup, left the house at 10:30AM and went straight there and straight back didn't make it back 1:00 PM and the only traffic lights were in Glens Falls all 4-5 of them.

/ Starlink #3,990  
No wired internet in my area at all…. Starlink, Hughesnet, 4G hotspot or Microwave are my only options.