Started my solar project

/ Started my solar project #61  
Where are you plans for disposal of the toxic heavy metals and lead from your solar panels once they stop working years from now?

Asking on behalf of the children of future generations.
What are your plans for disposing of tires, plastic, etc. That's a bigger problem then the drop in a bucket amount the solar panels will add to the waste stream.

/ Started my solar project #62  
Not everyone has a c-phone, so those without one do not have to find a place to recycle them. My current lap top is over 10 years old and still working. If I had to use it for work, then maybe a new one would be in order, but I don't. My last TV lasted 20 years. I'm not sure where you got your number form, but they don't sound right.

Richard
Richard, you appear to be the exception than the rule.

We have - 2 laptops, 2 Tablets, 2 Readers, 2 phones, 3 TV's then router, modems, wireless speakers, etc. that get replaced when they no longer function, or the OS cannot be updated/upgraded. We repair first then replace when it makes financial sense - e.g. my phone was 3 yrs old, poor battery life, so replace the battery for another 3 years, but many just replace the phone today.

/ Started my solar project #63  
Richard, you appear to be the exception than the rule.

We have - 2 laptops, 2 Tablets, 2 Readers, 2 phones, 3 TV's then router, modems, wireless speakers, etc. that get replaced when they no longer function, or the OS cannot be updated/upgraded. We repair first then replace when it makes financial sense - e.g. my phone was 3 yrs old, poor battery life, so replace the battery for another 3 years, but many just replace the phone today.

I agree that I have a small electrical foot print. Part of the reason is that I am the sole occupant of my house and I'm guessing from your post that you have several people in your home.

I'm not sure why one would want "wireless speakers". Depending on the bandwidth of the Blue tooth or WiFi signal, you most likely are loosing some fidelity in the response of the speaker system.

I know that a lot of consumer electronics can be turned in to places like Best Buy, but what happens after that, I don't know. I know a few years ago, I saw a video of some kids in India using a blow torch melting the solder of of PCB's to salvage the gold from the circuit boards. Good for us to not have to deal with the old electronics, but not good for those kids future.

/ Started my solar project #64  
Correct Richard - I am not an audiophile, but built a full surround sound with an amp, and sub woofer, using my original Advent speakers (1976 vintage) for one area we still use. Then in our main living area had Bose surround sound wired system $$$ from 1999-2017 - then the head unit failed.

At this point I put in the Sonos system, inside and outside for ease of use, and "connectibility" to play what you want where you want.

Last edited:
   / Started my solar project #65  
Where are you plans for disposal of the toxic heavy metals and lead from your solar panels once they stop working years from now?

Asking on behalf of the children of future generations.
Same place the LCD TV, smart phones, and computers go.

/ Started my solar project #66  
Same place the LCD TV, smart phones, and computers go.
Deflection? :unsure:

Kinda like saying “don’t worry about fentanyl, same as meth or heroin”

Last edited:
   / Started my solar project #69  
For those of you that have posted here with solar systems in the northern states - Michigan, Maine etc - can you let us know what your systems are producing right now? I'm in southern Ontario so basically I'll get the same amount of sun, I'm curious to know real world experience on what x size solar array produces in winter.
Also do you wait for the snow to come off or do you take the time to pull it off?

Thanks,
E

/ Started my solar project #70  
24 LG 300 Panels - 7.2K Array, facing south 181 degrees, roof angle 38 degrees, generates 9000KWH per year

- March to September average 900-1,000 KWH per month
- October to February Average 500-600 KWH Per month
- Lowest Months December and January @ 400 KWH per month
- Sometimes use "roof rake" with 24" brush attached to remove light snow - most of the time it slides right off the day after the storm with sun.