Started my solar project

/ Started my solar project #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I poured footings today for my 5250 watt ground mount solar project. Being a retired licensed general contractor, my intent was to do this project completely myself. I found out that San Bernardino county will not allow an owner/builder do solar even though they can build a whole house legally. I think that solar is dangerous because once the panels are exposed to the sun, they are generating electricity and that could be dangerous to a novice builder. My license is inactive since retirement so they would not allow me to use that either. I found an electrical contractor to sign off on the plans for a small fee and I will still be doing the project myself.

The original design called for drilled piers, 24 diameter by 4 feet deep. Eight of them. That is a lot of footing but I am in a 120 MPH wind zone. No trees or buildings to slow it down here in the desert.

Because of the permit issues, it took me a month to get a permit. Then Covid hit and the only driller within 50 miles that could do 24 holes shut down for an unknown period. I had to keep going so I had a friend with a backhoe dig the footings. While he is a skilled operator, there is a limit as to how small a 4 deep hole you can dig. Now I had to form all the footings. I could have used sonotube but that was $500 and the closest supplier was 50 miles away. There are some drawbacks to living in isolation. :laughing:

Concrete for the drilled piers would have been about 4 CY. My footings took about 4 1/2 CY.

Tomorrow it is strip forms and backfill and grade around the footings to flush them out. Then start panel installation.

I

Attachments

• 8FE9EAFF-5005-4F25-9778-D61268B0EC7B.jpeg
    8FE9EAFF-5005-4F25-9778-D61268B0EC7B.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 539
   / Started my solar project #2  
Looks good !

Done a couple ground mount projects....one for a neighbor of mine that was 40/250w panels about 5 years ago. We poured 2' x 8' x 2' thick footers for the 2" pipe to sit in. Used 2" pipe at a 45 degree angle welded to the upright pipe, then welded 2x2x 3/16" galvanized angle across the pipe to mount the panels on. He went with Enphase microinverters, it is a grid tie system.

enhance

enhance

enhance

My own system (currently 16kw) started with homemade trackers and pole mounts. Had a lot of trouble with the tracker controllers, finally decided it wasn't worth it and moved it all to a fixed ground mount. I have 5kw grid tie only using Enphase micro inverters, another 5kw that is grid tie only using a Sunny boy central inverter, and the last 6kw runs thru a battery based system using Outback equipment.

enhance

The ground mount, I simply used some 8" sono tube stuck about 18" in the ground, with 1 1/2" pipe and 2x2x3/16" for the panel mounting.

enhance

/ Started my solar project
Looks good !

Done a couple ground mount projects....one for a neighbor of mine that was 40/250w panels about 5 years ago. We poured 2' x 8' x 2' thick footers for the 2" pipe to sit in. Used 2" pipe at a 45 degree angle welded to the upright pipe, then welded 2x2x 3/16" galvanized angle across the pipe to mount the panels on. He went with Enphase microinverters, it is a grid tie system.

My own system (currently 16kw) started with homemade trackers and pole mounts. Had a lot of trouble with the tracker controllers, finally decided it wasn't worth it and moved it all to a fixed ground mount. I have 5kw grid tie only using Enphase micro inverters, another 5kw that is grid tie only using a Sunny boy central inverter, and the last 6kw runs thru a battery based system using Outback equipment.

Nice setup. i am using enphase microinverters also and LG panels. My 5200 watt system should zero out my usage 9 months of the year and get me into a lower tier for the 3 summer months.

/ Started my solar project #4  
Good start.
I have 14kw roof mounted on my tractorshed tied to an Outback radian system, off grid.

/ Started my solar project #5  
Looks like an interesting project.

Making progress! Slow going working alone. Actually got the cross braces installed and all the rails up. AC wiring strung and one panel installed before the wind picked up to 25 MPH.

9C54E417-2329-4B38-B0D0-AFDDDCF3289A.jpeg

/ Started my solar project #7  
Looks nice so far. Considering this is a one person job, seems you're making good progress.

Finally got my PTO in Monday. Right now with swamp coolers running I am producing more energy than consuming. BUT as temperatures and humidity goes up in the next couple of months and I have to switch to air conditioning I will fall behind. Based on my current production I should produce enough excess energy during the 9 cooler months to offset much of the summer consumption.

image.jpg

/ Started my solar project #9  
Very nice 🤙

/ Started my solar project #10  
I love my 7kw system but I dont have the know how to do it myself so I paid $$ to have it installed. Took advantage of 30% tax break and savings from putting what I dont consume onto the grid and getting full credit for it. My neighbors are getting power from my plant :)

I live in Maine so I wont get what you get for full benefits.