Starter Issue XG3037

/ Starter Issue XG3037 #1  

alexsbuddy

Gold Member
Tractor
LS XG3037 w/ LS LL3109 FEL Kodiak SD5 Mower, Speeco Model 65 PHD, Bush Hog BX-600 Box Blade, Titan 42" Skid Steer Pallet Fork/Hay Spear Combo
The starter motor on my XG3037 started sounding funny the last several times I started my XG3037. Today after having turned it off while I did some other work, it wouldn't start. No click or any sound at all. Battery checked out fine at 12.9 volts, switch checked out fine, seat switch checked out fine,etc...Only thing left is the starter motor. Is it possible that it is the starter solenoid? Has anyone replaced the solenoid on a LS starter motor? Couldn't find a part number just for the solenoid so I am hoping I don't have to buy the whole starter motor/solenoid assembly? Will call my dealer tomorrow, but thought I would see if anyone here has any thoughts on this.

/ Starter Issue XG3037 #2  
I am unable to answer your questions about your starter. However, I am interested to find out the cause of your problem. How old is your tractor and how many hours do you have on her? Do you still have the warranty?

/ Starter Issue XG3037 #3  
The starter motor on my XG3037 started sounding funny the last several times I started my XG3037.

In what way? If it sounded like it was spinning slower than usual, that could lead to a cable/connector issue. Rattling/grinding could be a bigger problem.

/ Starter Issue XG3037
I am unable to answer your questions about your starter. However, I am interested to find out the cause of your problem. How old is your tractor and how many hours do you have on her? Do you still have the warranty?
Tractor is 2 1/2 years old and has 497 hrs on it. I don't think the warranty covers the starter because it's external to the engine.

/ Starter Issue XG3037
In what way? If it sounded like it was spinning slower than usual, that could lead to a cable/connector issue. Rattling/grinding could be a bigger problem.
Sounded as if it kept spinning for a few seconds after starting. A slightly higher pitch.

/ Starter Issue XG3037 #6  
Battery voltage is not a way to check if the battery is good. Try to jump start you tractor. If that works, your battery is most likely the issue. Also, possibly alternator isn't charging correctly. But take the bat off and have Autozone or similar to get it tested.

/ Starter Issue XG3037
Well, of all things...turned out to be the clutch safety switch. Just needed to be barely adjusted. Started right up. Thanks to everyone and my dealer for the input.

/ Starter Issue XG3037 #8  
That's great news and a simple fix. Now I am sure your projects are backing up, time to get that tractor to work. Be safe out there.

/ Starter Issue XG3037 #9  
isn't it wonderful to find something that is just a real simple fix!

/ Starter Issue XG3037
Yes, it is!