Starter problem YM 2000D

/ Starter problem YM 2000D #1  

BurningBushFarm

Silver Member
Tractor
YM2000D
Shut off tractor to open gate and pass through. When I went to restart (it always has started immediately) it kicked over and then it all went went south. Instead of chugging and turning the engine over the starter was running continuously, not turning the engine over. *Even when I shut it off and took the key out.* I wasn't too far from the house and after fumbling around I ran up to the house and got a set of wrenches. There appeared to be the beginnings of smoke in the area of the starter (which I could feel was spinning somehow) and I thought dang I don't need this to catch on fire. Disconnected battery and it shut down.

Cause?

Cure?

Don't know if the starter is bad or the solenoid or some other part, switch, whatever. I have very basic knowedge of engines, so don't know how to determine what the cause and cure is. Need some help.

Thanks.

/ Starter problem YM 2000D #2  
The starter is intended only for short term use so if you left it to spin without catching that could have caused your smoke. It sounds like the Bendix gear has failed. You may be able to replace just that part or you may need a whole starter. A starter shop can either fix it or guide you to a replacement.

/ Starter problem YM 2000D #3  
Shut off tractor to open gate and pass through. When I went to restart (it always has started immediately) it kicked over and then it all went went south. Instead of chugging and turning the engine over the starter was running continuously, not turning the engine over. *Even when I shut it off and took the key out.* I wasn't too far from the house and after fumbling around I ran up to the house and got a set of wrenches. There appeared to be the beginnings of smoke in the area of the starter (which I could feel was spinning somehow) and I thought dang I don't need this to catch on fire. Disconnected battery and it shut down.

Cause?

Cure?

Don't know if the starter is bad or the solenoid or some other part, switch, whatever. I have very basic knowedge of engines, so don't know how to determine what the cause and cure is. Need some help.

Thanks.
How old is the starter? And it's a solenoid type like being the original?

Today, replacements are the OSGR types like modern vehicles, the solenoid starters are old history for our machines. OSGR starters for our machines come in 1.4kW or 2.0kW cranking power. I had a OSGR 2.0kW on my JD850 Yanmar 3T80 engine. It worked so much better than the solenoid starter.

/ Starter problem YM 2000D
The starter is intended only for short term use so if you left it to spin without catching that could have caused your smoke. It sounds like the Bendix gear has failed. You may be able to replace just that part or you may need a whole starter. A starter shop can either fix it or guide you to a replacement.
Errr .... did not leave it to spin. It kept spinning (without turning engine over) even after I shut the tractor off and took the key out! 😲 I had to pull a lead off the battery to shut the thing down.

This starter. Not sure what all the acronyms are in your post. Hoye sellls a starter and more. The other commenter said rebuild ...

Off to church ...

Attachments

• Starter.JPG
    Starter.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 71
   / Starter problem YM 2000D #6  
This starter. Not sure what all the acronyms are in your post. Hoye sellls a starter and more. The other commenter said rebuild ...

Off to church ...

Ah, I bet the solenoid went bad and arced over to continuous start or constant power.

You can look at the Hoye offering, it's still the old school solenoid starters. Those tend to cost more these days because it requires more coil winding of copper than an OSGR starter.

Tends to be the season for these starters to go bad. On the other two tractor forums, the Yanmar machines and their siblings in the John Deere line up are all going k-putt too.

Here's what an OSGR modern starter looks like internally. Nearly all newer vehicles starting in the 1986 till now use this type of starter today. Our starters on the Yanmars are from an old era prone to the problems you are seeing now.

Reduction_Starter_Motor_Diagram.jpg

One of the Yanmar supporting parts network companies offer the upgrade OSGR starter. Verify the Yanmar p/n first for your machine. An OSGR starter will not bog down like the old solenoid starters do, thus winter starting is still powerful. Both Hitachi and Denso make the OE starters for our Yanmars and John Deeres.

Look further in the listing below for your exact Yanmar p/n matchup. The price was take back in February.
ASAP-DENSO-STARTER-OSGR_2022_2_20_9_3_9jpg_Page1.jpg

/ Starter problem YM 2000D #7  
I rebuilt mine 10 yrs. ago. 75$ looks as though that one has been also. Solenoid been replaced so somebody's been in that one. Just tell a repair shop JD. not Yanmar since some will shy from the Grey Mkt. debacle. JD. 240 is the same starter. I have good friend in Dillard/Mtn city I can get a reference for a rebuilder or Elec. shop. He had a Auto repair on 441 for decades. I was into this one before I had to rebuild it. It went down a few yrs. after I bought it.

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    722.4 KB · Views: 175

Ah, I bet the solenoid went bad and arced over to continuous start or constant power.

You can look at the Hoye offering, it's still the old school solenoid starters. Those tend to cost more these days because it requires more coil winding of copper than an OSGR starter.

Tends to be the season for these starters to go bad. On the other two tractor forums, the Yanmar machines and their siblings in the John Deere line up are all going k-putt too.

Here's what an OSGR modern starter looks like internally. Nearly all newer vehicles starting in the 1986 till now use this type of starter today. Our starters on the Yanmars are from an old era prone to the problems you are seeing now.

View attachment 740180

One of the Yanmar supporting parts network companies offer the upgrade OSGR starter. Verify the Yanmar p/n first for your machine. An OSGR starter will not bog down like the old solenoid starters do, thus winter starting is still powerful. Both Hitachi and Denso make the OE starters for our Yanmars and John Deeres.

Look further in the listing below for your exact Yanmar p/n matchup. The price was take back in February.
View attachment 740182
Thanks. (Been away from this project caring for very sick horse.)

The link Starter Assembly - Made In USA! is the one that Hoye is now selling which looks different than the exploded view on their website.

Hoye says it replaces:
124450-77010 S114-146 S114-146 The "124450-77010" being the part number. (Don't think the S114-146 is significant.)

On the All States Ag Parts list you sent the closest Yanmar starter listed is 124520-77010.

Mmmmm.

I call All Parts and asked, and he said my P/N 124450 is for a "direct drive" starter. He didn't say what the difference was. Looks like I am in for a starter education.

So ... he didn't sound like they had what I need. Mmmm again. (careyo, I asked about a replacement for JD 240 and he didn't have anything listed.) I would like to find something (the right thing, of course) more affordable.

/ Starter problem YM 2000D #9  

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    722.4 KB · Views: 175

The Co. that Rebuilt this one is local. "Woods Auto Electric. Monroe Ga," who did it in 2011 in a couple days. Wasn't much to it. 72.46$ Cheap !! They mentioned were I turned the bushes over. Couldn't have been much left of them. Still using it to the day. Try Fredricks in Al. also............

/ Starter problem YM 2000D #10  
I bought my YM240 starter on Ebay from RareElectrical. I see now they are selling via Walmart instead of Ebay.

Looking at Ebay for 'starter Yanmar ym2000', I see a couple of vendors listing the starter starting around $150. For that price a local auto repair shop might rebuild yours for less. This is a common Denso or Hitachi automotive starter with universal rebuild components readily available, even on Ebay.

Also Yanmar specified about 1.4 kw (starting force) but I bought one with same dimensions but specified for a larger Yanmar, its 2.0 kw. 12 volts and fifteeen gear teeth (visible) are the starter specs to match. This spins the engine frantically! I like it. Instant starts, and I suspect this could even start a badly worn engine delaying the need for overhaul for a while.

DBElectric on Ebay is a quality supplier.

Direct Drive vs Gear Drive: Back in the 70's when YM2000 was designed, starter motors had a big motor to directly turn the gear on the front. And a big external solenoid (see Carey's picture) to switch on power to that motor.

Starting about that time, some starters have a smaller motor that spins faster plus gearing to drive the front external gear. Chrysler cars were notable for the high pitch whine from that type of starter. The electric motor is offset above the drive gear, an obvious difference. Either type is fine for our Yanmar applications. I had to extend the wire down from the ignition switch, made it a few inches longer, to reach the terminal on my new gear drive starter. Aside from that the gear-drive starter was a perfect match.

I suggest trying to rebuild what you have, replace only if that is unavoidable.

Last edited: