Starter solenoid troubleshooting

/ Starter solenoid troubleshooting #1  

Scotty Dive

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2020D
Just want to make sure I am testing my troubles correctly. Was getting clicking at the starter but no start. Battery fully charged. Bridged the two terminals and can force it to start. Took a jumper from the positive terminal to the top post (wire from ignition) and no joy just clicking.

Leads me to believe it's just the solenoid that needs replacing. Agree?

/ Starter solenoid troubleshooting #2  
Pretty easy to test the solenoid directly if it’s not part of the starter, that’s what I’d recommend. A lot of times they are fairly inexpensive and having a spare on hand is worth the $30-50.

/ Starter solenoid troubleshooting #3  
See how much voltage you're getting to the solenoid from the key switch. Sometimes the voltage drop is too great to activate it reliably. You may need to install a small relay activated by the ignition switch with the main part fed from an added fused lead from the battery.

/ Starter solenoid troubleshooting #4  
The solenoid has a couple of square head copper bolts the the bakelite end cap that the battery terminals connect to; they will get eroded and the whole inside will gum up with carbon from all the arcing. I had one doing that, I carefully tapped out the bolts, cleaned everything up with a wire wheel and installed the bolts so the uneroded part of the head faced inward. Works like a new one.

/ Starter solenoid troubleshooting #5  
What is your battery voltage? Is it 12.7 or better?

It probably may also be worth your while to clean the battery connections and the negative ground as well the connections at the solenoid. I've had more than a few occasions where the solenoid was fine, but the surfaces of the other cables were just too oxidized from exposure. It doesn't take much resistance to slow down a starter.

Good luck!

All the best,

Peter

/ Starter solenoid troubleshooting #6  
Just want to make sure I am testing my troubles correctly. Was getting clicking at the starter but no start. Battery fully charged. Bridged the two terminals and can force it to start. Took a jumper from the positive terminal to the top post (wire from ignition) and no joy just clicking.

Leads me to believe it's just the solenoid that needs replacing. Agree?
I agree.

/ Starter solenoid troubleshooting
Thanks all...

Can't believe Hoye charges $26 shipping on a small $50 part.....yikes!

/ Starter solenoid troubleshooting #8  
Southern farm equipment on EBAY -$48.95 free shipping ! 4mm bolts

/ Starter solenoid troubleshooting #9  
Good advice above. Yes, external solenoids do get pitted contacts, and make poor connection. When they make a poor connection, they arc more, and pit more. If you are able to take it apart and clean up the pitting, great. Though some solenoids do not lend themselves to disassembly - replace. Starter motors with internal solenoids are not quite so simple, though very disassembleable.

Note that in some [older] installations, where the chassis system as 12 volts, the starter solenoid was a 6 volt, so it slams in hard to make good contact. Ideally, it was not energized long, so it would de-energze before it got too hot. I'm not saying that you should change from 12V to 6V, but some farm vehicles were made that way.

Also note that an engaged starter motor can pull a weak batter voltage way down. Indeed, if the solenoid can handle it, a 12V battery with one shorted cell, might still start the engine (ask me how I know!). So check your voltage again with the starter load on the battery. If you see it down around 9 volts, it's time for a new battery. Keep a spare solenoid in stock in any case!

/ Starter solenoid troubleshooting #10  
Here's something for you to look at!

willy