Starting issues with john deere 2040

/ Starting issues with john deere 2040 #21  
You are jumping the solenoid it sounds like with the sparks and screwdriver. Your motor may be locked up. You might just need a solenoid? The fuel pump might need voltage. How far are you from a JD dealership? Maybe take it in to get an estimate since it seems you are a beginner at these things.

/ Starting issues with john deere 2040 #22  
IIRC TM4300 covers '76-'79 2040's and TM1221 covers '80-'82 2040's. Open-center hyd's ceased at SN 266,749 which was early '79 models

/ Starting issues with john deere 2040 #23  
TxJim that's good to know, I was thinking the '76 was the only one with open center hydraulics. I didn't realize there were several years with it.

/ Starting issues with john deere 2040
I did not know that either. Ya, i live kinda by a place called Van Wal, its a really good place we take the little tractors there for repairs i cant do myself. Our problem is that we dont have a trailer big enough. Could i pull a trailer that could hold that weight with just a ball hitch?

/ Starting issues with john deere 2040 #25  
kshunter
You have several tough decisions to make.

Might be easiest to get the tech manual out and go over it carefully with someone who can read the wiring schematics, and translate those to your wiring harness. It might save you the expense of tranporting the tractor to the dealer in Olathe.

Ya, i have the manual right now, and i left the guy who helped me out ( a family friend) last time a voicemail.

/ Starting issues with john deere 2040 #27  
Could i pull a trailer that could hold that weight with just a ball hitch?

Yes as long as the towing vehicle is large enough the handle the weight of trailer & 2040

Ya, I tried pop startong it today, had our F150 pull it, all it did was turn over for a few seconds, because we did it on gravel and the wheels just wouldnt grab grip. Im just gona have a van wal guy eork on it.

/ Starting issues with john deere 2040 #29  
If you are trying to pull the tractor to start it make sure you are in the highest gear (road gear) on the tractor when doing so. Much easier on the truck for sure.

I would check to be sure I had the 12 volts to the injector pump before tryig to pull start it, without it there isn't a chance it will start.

Yes ill need to do that for sure. I also didn't have anything hooked up, by that i mean the electronics didn't work in the first place, such as spedo, tacho, etc. But i dont think that would of made a difference. I was trying it out in like 4th gear, probably way too low. I also put an add on craigslist for someone who might be able to come out and help me out. I also called the Van Wal dealer to see if they could come out, but the manager wasn't there so ill just have to call back monday.