Starting problem - Jinma 284

/ Starting problem - Jinma 284 #1  

oviv

Hi,

My Jinma 284 tractor was A-1 yesterday.
Today, I've done a 250 hours maintenance (changing oil & filter; gear oil, prestone, injector oil & air filter cleaning).

After that, when I try to start the tractor does start anymore and it does't crank.
Here is a short clip of what it done : http://w4.uqo.ca/ortho/unstart.mov

Anybody has an idea of what happens ???

Thank you for help

Al

PS : in this picture (http://w4.uqo.ca/ortho/inj.jpg), after putting oil in bolt hole (see bolt cap number 1 on picture), I pull out the gauge (number 2 on picture) and diesel start to squirt... I put it back right through to its place, but does it has a link with the starting problem?

/ Starting problem - Jinma 284 #2  
Diesel from the injection pump dipstick hole suggests that you didn't drain the pump sump before refilling with clean oil. The starting issue suggests that somehow in your maintenance you affected a battery/starter cable or wire. I'd start at the battery, remove both cables, clean posts and connectors, then do the same thing to the other ends of the cables (emphasis on cleaning the frame under the ground cable). Then make sure the keyswitch to clutch interlock to starter solenoid are all clean and tight.

//greg//

/ Starting problem - Jinma 284
Thank you Greg,
but how do you drain the pump sump ? I just see the hole (the one with a bolt with cap) for filling oil...
I will try your suggestions and come back.

Thanx again
Al

You were right with the battery/starter cleaning issue.
The problem was resolve by checking, cleaning and tighting all electric contact from battery to starter, including clutch keyswitch.
Thankk you very much for your help.

Have a good week
Al

/ Starting problem - Jinma 284 #5  
Looking straight on at the fuel delivery system, that mushroom looking thing is top right is the fill vent. To the right and below that (side right) are two hex head bolts. The bottom one is the drain, the middle one is the fill level. On some models the drain is actually underneath, but mine were the bottom bolt on the right vertical face. Remove fill vent, prepare to catch old oil, open drain, drain. When empty, replace drain plug, remove middle bolt (again, right side vertical). Fill from top until you see fresh oil spilling out the side hole. Replace side bolt, replace fill/vent cap.

//greg//

Got it! Thank you !

Badly, I finish my maintenance by changing the fuel filter. I put off the old fuel filter and place a new one.

After that, I start the tractor and it run normally but just only for 20-30 seconds. It stop, like being out of fuel (tank is half full). I try to start again and again, but it crank without starting.

This problem happen just after the replacement of fuel filter. After unsrew the old fuel filter, it was full of fuel; but the new one was clean and dry. Did the problem of starting could be of air in filter that came in fuel line? If so, do you an idea of how to manage this problem?

Thank you again for your help

Al

/ Starting problem - Jinma 284 #7  
Fill the filter with fuel and reinstall then on the injection pump there should be a primer. Pump it and try to restart.

Chris

/ Starting problem - Jinma 284 #8  
Yup, you've air-locked your high pressure side. Start with a filter canister full of fuel. Loosen the rubber hose that goes between the filter and the pump (loosen at the pump end). This is the low pressure side. Use the hand primer pump (round knurled thing at the right of the pump assembly). It unscrews to unlock and pump, screw back down when you're done. Pump until fuel comes out the loosened hose fitting. Tighten fitting. Follow the steel fuel lines up to the top, note that they tighten with a hex collar. This is the high pressure side. Loosen the hex collars about 3/4 turn, crank engine. Air (and light fuel spray) will come out first, soon changing to all fuel. As each line starts spurting raw fuel, tighten its hex collar. Now your tractor should start.

//greg//

Well...
Thanx Greg, but this procedure will be challenging for my knowledge and experience...
Anyway, I don't have any choice and I will give a try and see what happens...

Thanx again
Al

/ Starting problem - Jinma 284 #10  
Its not that hard. Just follow the system. Fuel comes from the tank to the pump, through the filter, back to the pump, then to the injectors.

Chris