Starting procedure.

/ Starting procedure. #1  

Steelworker17

Tractor
Yanmar SA424
Hi all,

I have a 2020 Yanmar SA424. I'm at about 200 Hrs. right now and have done the second maintenance. The tractor now seems to smoke and sputter quite a bit when starting cold. Is this normal? Is there a starting procedure that should be followed?

/ Starting procedure. #2  
What ambient temperatures are you dealing with? Most modern diesels start easy enough in very cold temps with one of two cycles of the glow plugs.

/ Starting procedure. #3  
I have the same tractor, just 230 h and have not jet done maintenance 😁

We have -20 C / -4 F

Attachments

• 82C30012-79CB-43FE-986A-CEEE4815E2F3_1_105_c.jpeg
    82C30012-79CB-43FE-986A-CEEE4815E2F3_1_105_c.jpeg
    635.4 KB · Views: 127

No problem at all.

In such cold during warm up it kinda "smokes", but that is just condensed water from warm exhaust gases. In other words - chemtrail :ROFLMAO:

Do you heat glow plugs ?

/ Starting procedure. #4  
Are you using your glow plugs? Are they getting power? Are they good? The symptoms sound like you may not be pre warming with the glow plugs. A dirty air filter is another possibility. What color is the smoke?

/ Starting procedure. #5  
I wonder, has anyone asked if you've cycled your glow plugs? 🤣

Really though, whether it's cold, cold, or cold, a good cycle can make everyone happy.

/ Starting procedure. #6  
I have the same tractor, just 230 h and have not jet done maintenance 😁

We have -20 C / -4 F

Attachments

• 82C30012-79CB-43FE-986A-CEEE4815E2F3_1_105_c.jpeg
    82C30012-79CB-43FE-986A-CEEE4815E2F3_1_105_c.jpeg
    635.4 KB · Views: 127

No problem at all.

In such cold during warm up it kinda "smokes", but that is just condensed water from warm exhaust gases. In other words - chemtrail :ROFLMAO:

Do you heat glow plugs ?

A broom in snow, that would be perfect for the stuff falling right now.

/ Starting procedure. #7  
A broom in snow, that would be perfect for the stuff falling right now.
Yeah. :cool:
Actually now blade works rather bad. Even there is nylon wear part, blade makes creepy noises, there is excessive friction

But broom makes wonders. Even with single pass nothing but bare pavement

/ Starting procedure.
What ambient temperatures are you dealing with? Most modern diesels start easy enough in very cold temps with one of two cycles of the glow plugs.
Teens to 40's F

/ Starting procedure.
Are you using your glow plugs? Are they getting power? Are they good? The symptoms sound like you may not be pre warming with the glow plugs. A dirty air filter is another possibility. What color is the smoke?
I do use the glow plugs for about 5 seconds. It still smokes and sputters for about 10 seconds and then smooths out.

/ Starting procedure. #10  
I electrically preheat mine for a few hours, 'makes starting very easy, and no smoke.