Steak cooking methods

/ Steak cooking methods #31  
We've been buying a lot of T-bone steaks for 5.99/lb. and they're very good. I call ahead and I have them cut 1" thick. 4-5 minutes per side on high heat is all it takes for medium rare.

T-bone with a baked potato, sour cream, real butter, salt, and pepper, and a salad is my favorite meal. Several glasses of red wine with that meal beats going out to any restaurant that I've ever been to.

Kevin

/ Steak cooking methods #32  
Don't know what changed but strip steaks used to be great...have not had a tender one in ages...only buy them now when they are reduced...

[in general to the subject...]

Cooking meat (beef especially) needs to rest (continue cooking, then re-absorb moisture)...steaks are no different...red meat (beef venison etc...) should always be removed from the heat source when it is 6* to 10* below the desired internal temp...the larger /thicker the cut the longer the rest period needed...

Yeah, we were bummed, as they were great cuts of meat a long time ago. I cook them low and slow off the heat until up to temp, then put them on the hot side for just a minute or so to get the grill marks and crust. That's the way I do all the steaks. Every other cut of meat I do turns out just about perfect that way. But this batch of strips, while moist and pink, is just chewy as all get out. I'm hoping its just that one tough animal. :(

/ Steak cooking methods #33  
Get a good cut of meat and dry age it for 21 days. Trim off the waste and cut to your preferred thickness. If you have never tried a dried aged steak, you need to.

/ Steak cooking methods #34  
Get a good cut of meat and dry age it for 21 days. Trim off the waste and cut to your preferred thickness. If you have never tried a dried aged steak, you need to.
IMO..."Aging" meat is the key to tenderness and flavor...

[general topic of aging]
FWIW...Meat to be aged must never have been frozen as it kills the enzymes that *tenderize* the meat...it will turn dark but it will never get any more tender...age it and then freeze it...

* it may be a bit unappetizing to hear but "aging" is really just a slow process of decomposing...
Some cultures still hang fowl or game birds by the neck until the head falls off before they eat em...ugh..!

/ Steak cooking methods #35  
I have not had good luck in the past with Sirloins, so consequently I haven't grilled one in quite a while. Any tips on grilling a Sirloin?

I like a good sirloin, but I also like lean beef. Never overcook that cut, always on the rare side of medium and thicker is better. Just my $0.01

Last edited:
   / Steak cooking methods #37  
We had some sirloins the other night from a side of beef that a friend of our raised.... man was that good! :licking:

/ Steak cooking methods #38  
We used to be able to get bone in sirloin steaks (up to 2" thick)...there were actually three different muscle groups on the same cut...including a section of tenderloin...they were great...never see them cut that way anymore...

Most of the sirloin I've bought lately has been the top of the whole tip balled and tied for the rotisserie...average about 4#...

/ Steak cooking methods #39  
I used to go out in the afternoon and build a fire in the back yard between two cinder blocks. Used oak firewood and we would just sit around and talk and poke at the fire from time to time. After it burned down to coals I would toss a couple taters in the ashes and then after a while throw a grill across the blocks and cook the steaks. Mostly tenderloin from my own steer. Can't say I ever had a better steak and the taters are better that way too. Used to do potatoes in the wood stove the same way. takes about an hour and man are they good. Ed

Are you wrapping the taters in toil foil, when thrown on the coals?

/ Steak cooking methods #40  
IMO..."Aging" meat is the key to tenderness and flavor...

I agree. If you age it good, you can grill it, pan fry it or wrap it around the exuast manifold on your tractor.