Steak cooking methods

/ Steak cooking methods #51  
I have never let a steak "rest"

Actually, the longer it "rests" on my plate, the colder it gets and less juicy.

I try to time everything and have all the sides served out and plates ready. Then the steak goes straight from the grill to the plate for immediate consumption.

/ Steak cooking methods #52  

I try to time everything and have all the sides served out and plates ready. Then the steak goes straight from the grill to the plate for immediate consumption.

Times 2.
Also, I only put pepper on my steak. Don't want to cover up the taste of the meat with anything else.:licking:

/ Steak cooking methods #53  
Do the same thing with corn too, only no foil. Just leave it in the husk, and thow them on a bed of coals, use the shovel and cover with coals. Depending on how hot your coals are, ~8-10 minutes and you'll have some of the best corn ever
We do that in the summer with corn on the grill, cook it until the 2nd or 3rd layer of husks just start to blacken.

Aaron Z

/ Steak cooking methods #54  
The thicker the meat, the more important the resting. Won't do nearly as much for a thin steak as a large roast. It allows the juices to re-distribute as the temperatures equalize within the food.

/ Steak cooking methods #55  
We will have to agree to disagree...... Check out the websit I posted a link to. Meathead is the Alton Brown of the grill. he knows his stuff and can back it up.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the old theory that searing meat seals in the juice? Because that is false.
But letting a piece of meat rest after cooking isn't. As mentioned, it become more important the larger the piece of meat is.

/ Steak cooking methods #56  

The way most people cook a steak, on most grills today, it's dried out enough when you are done cooking, there is no point in letting it rest.

I used to think the same thing.

Here is what I have learned since: If the plate you let it rest on, does not end up with lots of juices on it, the meat is actually dried out.

True perfection is achieved through extremely high temperatures. They are much higher than most grills can achieve.

I coat both sides with seasoning, then sear them in butter, on a 1/2" stainless steel plate grill I fabricated. It's on a high BTU crab boiler burner. It gets so hot, it glows, if it's dark outside.

Once seared, the steaks are put together in a heavy duty foil bag, and baked inside my gas grill for 5-10 minutes at 350F, depending on how they are requested.

I can do anything from charred, with a cold center, to well done, and still have the steak juicy.

The steaks are put on a plate, and while they rest, and yes they need to now, the juices from the foil pouch, are used to make a pan sauce.

You can even cut choice quality meat, with a butter knife cooked this way. :thumbsup:

Chicken, and pork, are all juicy too, when cooked with enough heat. The junk they sell at the big box stores for grills, just can't get that hot.

/ Steak cooking methods #57  
There is always a pile of juice on my plate. When I cut the steak open, juice runs out.

Leave the same good tender piece of delicious meat on the plate for 20 minutes and come back to it, its like a totally different steak.

/ Steak cooking methods #58  
The average steak (1" thick) only needs to rest a few minutes...most meats will continue to cook after they are removed from the heat source...larger roasts can gain nearly 10* after while resting...

Something I learned from a grill chef at one of the top rated steak houses in the country (Berns, Tampa FL)...is dry mustard...it's a secret of many steak houses...it does not add anything to the steak it just brings out the natural flavor of the meat...

/ Steak cooking methods #59  
T-bone with a baked potato, sour cream, real butter, salt, and pepper, and a salad is my favorite meal. Several glasses of red wine with that meal beats going out to any restaurant that I've ever been to.

Oh yeah, one of my favorites too!

/ Steak cooking methods #60  

+1 I agree