Steel Cutting Chop Saw

/ Steel Cutting Chop Saw #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
After running to my pals shop everytime I need to cut some steel I've decided to buy a chop saw. Looks like the Evolution S355CPS has good features for price ($379) Of course its made in China..probably no choice there
Any opinions?

/ Steel Cutting Chop Saw #2  
Can't tell you anything specific about the Evolution, but last year I bought a gently used DeWalt 14" saw off FB marketplace for $120 and it does everything I need it to, been very pleased with it

/ Steel Cutting Chop Saw #3  
Looks like a good chop saw but for the same money, you could go with something like this:

I bought the same saw from Jet tools 30 years ago and it's still going strong. It's great for simple cut offs and works both horizontally & vertically. It will also do angles and more precision work as well.

/ Steel Cutting Chop Saw #4  
I have a Evolution sliding miter saw. It will cut 4x6 in one pass. It will also cut 2x2x1/4 angle iron perfectly. 1/4 thick is the thickest metal I have tried it on but 1/4 is 90 percent of what I use on my projects. Anything thicker goes on my metal cutting bandsaw.

/ Steel Cutting Chop Saw #5  
I bought one of the Evolution metal saws earlier this year. It cuts tubing and angle more accurately than I have been able to cut with my 4x6 bandsaw. The issue I've had with my bandsaw is that it is difficult for me to get it adjusted to make accurate cuts. If I move it in the shop, then the adjustments seem to get messed up.

There are a variety of website discussions about buying and adjusting 4x6 bandsaws to cut accurately. Let's just say it's easy to find those discussions, and they provide better information on them than I could try to say here.

The thing about the Evolution that I don't like is that it is heavy. I also find it harder to see where the cut line is going to be compared to my Dewalt miter saw I use for cutting wood. Something about the saw guard seems to shade the cut line on the Evolution so I've started marking the cuts with a silver marker that is easier to see.

Seems to make a lot of metal chips to clean up. Eye protection is a must have.

If you are cutting tubing and want a good tight fitup, I personally think the Evolution is very nice to have. But I would also say to at least consider a 4x6 bandsaw as you make your decision.

/ Steel Cutting Chop Saw #6  
After running to my pals shop everytime I need to cut some steel I've decided to buy a chop saw. Looks like the Evolution S355CPS has good features for price ($379) Of course its made in China..probably no choice there
Any opinions?
You mean a cold cut saw with a metal blade? Or an abrasive blade chop saw?

/ Steel Cutting Chop Saw
cold cut

/ Steel Cutting Chop Saw
I bought one of the Evolution metal saws earlier this year. It cuts tubing and angle more accurately than I have been able to cut with my 4x6 bandsaw. The issue I've had with my bandsaw is that it is difficult for me to get it adjusted to make accurate cuts. If I move it in the shop, then the adjustments seem to get messed up.

There are a variety of website discussions about buying and adjusting 4x6 bandsaws to cut accurately. Let's just say it's easy to find those discussions, and they provide better information on them than I could try to say here.

The thing about the Evolution that I don't like is that it is heavy. I also find it harder to see where the cut line is going to be compared to my Dewalt miter saw I use for cutting wood. Something about the saw guard seems to shade the cut line on the Evolution so I've started marking the cuts with a silver marker that is easier to see.

Seems to make a lot of metal chips to clean up. Eye protection is a must have.

If you are cutting tubing and want a good tight fitup, I personally think the Evolution is very nice to have. But I would also say to at least consider a 4x6 bandsaw as you make your decision.
2-rks
Which Evolution? I see some models have a cast base and others have a stamped base-as always you get what you pay for. As for the band saw the biggest thing I have against them is the size.

/ Steel Cutting Chop Saw #9  
I have a 14" Alfra made in Germany. Bought it from a local welding supply store:
19772-2547447.jpg
P4130011 555.jpg

Very happy with it. (y)

/ Steel Cutting Chop Saw #10  
I had the same question a year ago when looking at my options to work mild steel. I ended up going with the band saw, and it works pretty well. It takes some work to get the cut exact and has limitations when using larger stock at steeper cutting angles. I had issues right off the bat with 3x3 angle at a 45. The band saw makes little mess, reasonably quiet, and you can walk away and mark up your next cut while it runs. I would not immediately excuse the abrasive chop saws either. There is more mess/sparks, but the blades are a fraction of a cold-cut saw blade.

If you change angles a lot during a project, you may want to avoid the band saw and find something with a faster way to change. I looked at Evo and Dewalt when I was in the market. Both seemed pretty good at their price point.