Steering brakes

/ Steering brakes #1  

Bsavulis

Tractor
Kioti CK25
I stopped a Kioti dealer recently to look at the new machines and drool a little bit. I currently have a Ck25HST, which works perfectly and does all I need. But it is nice to look. While talking to the sales guy, he mentioned that I should never ever use the steering brakes on my machine as it will tear up the driveline. Is there any truth to his statement. I have used them on ocassion.

Brian

/ Steering brakes #2  
I stopped a Kioti dealer recently to look at the new machines and drool a little bit. I currently have a Ck25HST, which works perfectly and does all I need. But it is nice to look. While talking to the sales guy, he mentioned that I should never ever use the steering brakes on my machine as it will tear up the driveline. Is there any truth to his statement. I have used them on ocassion.

Brian

I don't know about HST but I have used brakes to make tight turns on all size gear tractors for years with no issues. I can't imagine it would be any different.

/ Steering brakes #3  
Why would they put them on if you aren't supposed to use them? It may bind your drivetrain a bit, similar to 4x on a hard surface. But on loose ground and properly applied shouldn't be a problem.
What does your operators manual say?

On the new CK35 line only the manual/clutch transmissions have turning brakes. The HST has only a single brake pedal.

/ Steering brakes #4  
I've used them on my Kubota a couple times. No problems. If you have an implement on the 3-point - just be certain that you have it raised. I just have no reason to make that tight a turn - so my brakes are always locked together.

Bad advise given to you by the dealer. Perhaps a VERY weak excuse used to avoid past warrantee work on a driveline ???

/ Steering brakes #5  
The salesman must be covering his bases for warranty work. :confused3: In muddy or poor traction situations, steering via brakes might be the only way you can steer..... As others have stated, you should only do that when your front wheels need the help.

/ Steering brakes #6  
Having spent my childhood and a fair bit of my adult life on an 8N Ford with split/steering brakes before coming to the (older) CK35 gear with split brakes; the only possible issue I can see with the Kioti is if you were in 4WD/4WA and trying to make extremely tight turns using the split brakes that it could put added stress on the front drive line because the front diff couldn't keep up with the increased difference in wheel speed between the inside & outside tire.

99% of the time I keep our tractor in 4WD and the brake pedals locked together - except when I'm bush hogging. Then the pedals are split & 4WD is disengaged for that very reason. If I have to make some tight turns I have the ability to add a little brake to the inside to help it along.

I can tell you though with 100% full certainty that even with the same rough wheel base and wheel track width - the CK35 WILL NOT turn as tight as the 8N will. This is due to a combination of things such as 4WD vs 2WD and the fact that the 8N has a higher "cramp angle" than the CK35 so just bear in mind that even having split brakes, it's only going to gain you so much.