Steriod shot in knee, ???

/ Steriod shot in knee, ??? #1  

John White

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030
Well after all these years old body is wearing down. Had a pain in my knee for over a year. Just limped on and thinking I must have sprained it or twisted it. It gradually got worse. Finally had to go to VA. They said I have arthritis in in pretty bad and need a steroid shot and if that doesn't work might need a knee surgery. Have any of you ever had a steroid shot? How long did it last? Did it cure your pain problem?

/ Steriod shot in knee, ??? #2  
I have not had it done but know a lot of people who have had cortisone injections, results were mixed, some worked, others didn't.
Probably worthy of a try before considering the knife.

/ Steriod shot in knee, ??? #3  
My 3 year old gran daughter has arthritis in one of her knees, now there trying a special diet of no sugar, dairy products, some her meals are very bla, she can have most fruit and honey on certain type of bread/toast, think it's gluten free. Sometimes these bodies are high maintenance.

/ Steriod shot in knee, ??? #4  
If your knee is shot, bite the bullet and get it replaced, you’ll be a much happier camper in the long haul.
Speaking from experience.

B. John

/ Steriod shot in knee, ??? #5  
Had a cortisone shot in my hand for carpal tunnel. No lasting effect. Had to have the surgery.
They may work for some.
Glad I had it done, not perfect but a lot better.

/ Steriod shot in knee, ??? #6  
Well, to sum up a very long story, here it is in an abbreviated version: I was injured at work 3 times in 3 months, all injuries to my knee. Had 2 surgeries (repairs, not replacement). I have had 4 cortisone shots in the knee over the past year and a half. The first couple made it feel a little better for a couple of weeks, then back to swelling, pain, and difficulties even walking. The last (4th) shot actually increased the pain so bad that I almost wanted to go to the hospital (that was about 6 hours after the shot). Thank goodness the pain decreased back to "normal level" by the next morning.

At one year after the first surgery, the surgeon reported that "severe arthritis" has now set in due to the injuries AND surgery! I just completed a series of 3 weekly injections of a "joint lubricant" called "Uflexall". It has a 50/50 chance of providing some relief, but won't know if it works for the next 30 days or so..... Next up is full replacement.

I have heard both good and bad about both the steroids and the "lube", it depends on the person and what is wrong. IMHO, THEY AIN'T WORTH ****!

/ Steriod shot in knee, ??? #7  
I have had several series of the shots in the knee to preclude knee replacement, 3 week series, like 3 years worth, so you can have them every 6 months thru MC . . . still doing it, because it is still giving me relief and my knee is not going to be splayed open. :) seen that before and o :)

/ Steriod shot in knee, ??? #8  
Darn it.....why can't we just have grease zerks like our tractors have?

/ Steriod shot in knee, ??? #9  
These shot are not steroidal in my knee, the ones in my shoulder sure are :)

/ Steriod shot in knee, ??? #10  
I have not had it done but know a lot of people who have had cortisone injections, results were mixed, some worked, others didn't.
Probably worthy of a try before considering the knife.

This sums it up. Under the “standard” protocol for your knee they would start with the least invasive like oral meds, then injections like steroids or some of the modern “lubricants”. Then ultimately the knife. It’s worth a try to have an injection.

I’d also try an oral NSAID or better yet Turmeric with Black Pepper in pill form. Both are anti inflammatory- Turmeric being the wholistic option.

Arthritis can also be triggered by foods and some forms are triggered by uric acid. Talk to the doc about some of these options to help delay going under the knife.