stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy

/ stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy #1  

ArlyA

Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
This past week, I attended a NFS sawyer recertification program and during it, they spoke about stihl's 1/4 turn caps because they've had several people burned when those caps geysered, as they were being opened. The National Forest service as subsequently banded new Stihl purchases. I own several Stihls with those caps and I would agree, they are not the best design... Other that that, I do like the machines.

/ stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy #2  
I've got several Stihl items with them and while they are simple, they do get pressure from time to time when taking them off for a refill.

/ stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy #3  
Are you not supposed to be wearing your head to toe body armour, anyway if you even look at a saw? Just make all that stuff fire rated and you should be good to go.

/ stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy #4  
I've never had a problem with them and actually prefer them to the old caps that get all striped in the middle where the wrench goes. Everything with a gas tank builds pressure, from cars to chainsaws. Knowing you have to let the air vent before taking the cap off is just an obvious procedure.

I hate to think that Stihl will now have to engineer to the lowest common denominators intellectually so idiots can run a saw. The fix will probably be more cumbersome, but it will be idiot proof.

Common sense is gone and it appears it's gone in the forest service these days as well...

/ stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy #5  
I dig through my Tool Box every time and find the biggest screwdriver I can find to deal with those stripped out Stihl caps! And then make sure not to overtighten them. But also, hate a ruined pair of jeans from the oil running down my leg!

/ stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy
Gee. The good of the screw caps was they would gradually let the pressure out, with no fuel geyser. The 1/4 turns have no way to dump any pressure slowly out.

I've never had a problem with them and actually prefer them to the old caps that get all striped in the middle where the wrench goes. Everything with a gas tank builds pressure, from cars to chainsaws. Knowing you have to let the air vent before taking the cap off is just an obvious procedure.

I hate to think that Stihl will now have to engineer to the lowest common denominators intellectually so idiots can run a saw. The fix will probably be more cumbersome, but it will be idiot proof.

Common sense is gone and it appears it's gone in the forest service these days as well...

/ stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy #8  
I have two Stihl's, a chainsaw and a weedeater. I have never had any "geysers" or pressure release issue. One should always have the caps facing fully vertical and if so, I cant see any way pressure build up would cause major gas leak. Perhaps a drop or two that my be built up in the threads but that would be all. Anyway you shouldn't be filling a hot saw with gas till the saw runs out so no gas to geyser out. Common sense would dictate to the user that the fill cap should be TDC on the saw before opening the cap.

/ stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy #9  
Gee. The good of the screw caps was they would gradually let the pressure out, with no fuel geyser. The 1/4 turns have no way to dump any pressure slowly out.

So can the twist ones...turn and slowly lift up while applying a little down pressure. Twist and immediately pulling up I would argue is not the proper way to go about refilling.

Again common sense can go a long ways...

/ stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy #10  
I have never had a issue with the Stihl caps...at least they don't leak. The caps on my other make saws release pressure all the time....all over the floor.