stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy

/ stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy #11  
Never had a problem. Like the caps.

/ stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy #12  
I've had several Stihl products over the years (Chainsaw, Pole saw, Brush Cutters, Blower) and never had a problem with the caps....except when I did not seat one properly. But I'll still be more careful when refueling a warm/hot tool.

/ stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy #13  
Only time I had an issues is when the saw is in the hot sun, then it pressurizes the tank. I think the way they do the vents now, seems like the let the air in, but don't always relieve the pressure.

/ stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy
In discussion of this problem at the conference, the tanks are not vented and will build pressure for various reasons. One fellow while fighting on a fire line, his saw wouldn't operate right and he thought was about to run out of gas. So him and his partner took a break, then later returned to the saw he popped the cap off to fill it thinking that was enough time to de-pressure the tank. He wasn't out of fuel but it had vapor locked from working among the fire and heat they were in. His tank was still pressurized and with much fuel still in it, it geysered onto him and with embers everywhere, he lite and received 3rd degree burns and spent over month in the hospital. Bad, bad, bad burns.

The FS now says to make sure your saw has cooled, open it with the cap away from yourself and have a rag over its top, to keep any fuel from being sprayed on yourself.

Only time I had an issues is when the saw is in the hot sun, then it pressurizes the tank. I think the way they do the vents now, seems like the let the air in, but don't always relieve the pressure.

Last edited:
   / stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy #16  
That is interesting and yes could be quite dangerous. I guess if you consider how much your Jerry Cans swell with a temperature increase. I guess it would be hard to vent a saw gass tank.

/ stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy #17  
In discussion of this problem at the conference, the tanks are not vented and will build pressure for various reasons. One fellow while fighting on a fire line, his saw wouldn't operate right and he thought was about to run out of gas. So him and his partner took a break, then later returned to the saw he popped the cap off to fill it thinking that was enough time to de-pressure the tank. He wasn't out of fuel but it had vapor locked from working among the fire and heat they were in. His tank was still pressurized and with much fuel still in it, it geysered onto him and with embers everywhere, he lite and received 3rd degree burns and spent over month in the hospital. Bad, bad, bad burns.

The FS now says to make sure your saw has cooled, open it with the cap away from yourself and have a rag over its top, to keep any fuel from being sprayed on yourself.

I think most of us aren't refilling our saws with fire or embers around. I do burn when I cut, but walk away to fill the saws. I think your occupation complicates this, and being overly cautious is in your best interest. Sad to hear about the burns, never had anything bad, but heard it is horrible all around.

I suspect Stihl will come up with a redesign at some point. You never want to be banned by first responders, not good for business.

I think they have vents, but there is a check valve in them so they don't leak fuel when tipped over. Seems like that may be an easy fix.

/ stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy #18  
I was going to object to the low intelligence thing, but opening a fuel container with hot embers around?

/ stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy #19  
An old friend used to tell of his Dad that used to fill the lawnmower, cigarette in mouth with an inch long ash hanging off of it.

/ stihl 1/4 turn caps controversy #20  
An old friend used to tell of his Dad that used to fill the lawnmower, cigarette in mouth with an inch long ash hanging off of it.

They say smokin' will kill you....