Stihl Farm Boss

/ Stihl Farm Boss #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
Hi All,

I was given a used Stihl Farm Boss by a friend who's moving into the city (SCORE!). He says it starts hard but runs well. It's well used by outward appearance. I'm tempted to take it to a Stihl dealer to have it serviced but I'd like to know what they would do to it. Maybe I should just service it myself? I'm assuming they'd change the sparkplug if needed. Change the air filter. Would they clean the carb and adjust it if necessary? I haven't even looked at it yet, it's still sitting in the back of my truck where I put it while helping him move.

Kevin

/ Stihl Farm Boss #2  
Depending on what the definition of hard starting is id probably do nothing except a new chain. If it’s 10 pulls I’d say that’s normal.

/ Stihl Farm Boss #3  
I'm tempted to take it to a Stihl dealer to have it serviced but I'd like to know what they would do to it.

Call the dealer and ask. The Farm Boss has been around for a long time. Stihl has new state-of-the-art models that are more powerful but weight less. Maybe the dealer would accept your Farm Boss as a trade in?

/ Stihl Farm Boss #4  
Starts hard?...first thing to do is a pressure/vacuum test. That will tell you the crankcase is tight...seals, gaskets, etc. Then, rebuild the carb with new diaphragms etc.

/ Stihl Farm Boss #5  
Wow, you’ve got a classic saw. Is it an 029 model?
My 029 dates from 1992 and despite buying a new Stihl Saw last year, the ole 029 is still mt go to machine.
I recently had the dealer replace the fuel pick up hose, replace the carberator, and install a new spark plug,
The only major service required in it’s 25 year life other than routine chain and bar maintance.
At about 10 face cord per year, that equates to about 250 face cords to date so the $150.00 service cost equates to somewhere around 60 cents per year.

B. John

/ Stihl Farm Boss #6  
My 029 has always been hard to start.

/ Stihl Farm Boss #7  
Mine was always hard starting, too.
The biggest improvement I made was to enlarge the muffler openings.
The best day I had with the saw was when I sold it, and bought an EGO 16" 56 volt chainsaw.

/ Stihl Farm Boss #8  
Just had a 026 come in hard starting was complaint. Pull over forever. Just the L out of adjustment. ;) Something you can do yourself.

Learn chainsaw repair https://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/

Also wasnt oiling was another complaint. Checked everything down to worm gear. Works great. Adjusted oiler and had clean bar groove and holes out. Something you can do too.

/ Stihl Farm Boss #9  
I wonder which farm boss myself. They keep changing them. 041 and then a 290 If I recall right. Think it is down to a plastic 271 now. :confused2: Any others?

/ Stihl Farm Boss
Here are a couple pics:

20180806_175919 web.jpg20180806_175932 web.jpg

I haven't attempted to start it yet. I'm sure it hasn't been started in at least a year. I threw my back out yesterday and I don't want to aggrivate it. At the very least I'll be replacing the fuel/oil with fresh when I get around to starting it.

Kevin