stihl ms 251

/ stihl ms 251 #11  
I was out and checked, I do have the MS261. The 251 would be the next size smaller CI but should be of the same quality and I'll add some some to that point. My 8yo 261 is quite setup well so you can service in the field, with a minimum of tools. The motor cover easily comes off with a bar tool and the air filter simply twits off. (Yes, had to clean it in the field) The warm/cool operation baffle changes out with just as easily. We use it in the early winter and do operate it with the warm air intake in use. Point is, this tool really is well built.

The build quality of the 251 and 261 are completely different. There's very few similarities between these two models other than the colors and the name on the side. The 261 is a very well built tool, though, you're right about that!

The 251 (and 250) is a homeowner saw rated for 50 hours use before it may need a rebuild. Unless you have occasional homeowner duties, like storm cleanup every few years, I'd say step up to a pro saw (normally they are rated for 300 hours). Long term it's a better value, and normally you end up with a lighter saw that is more powerful for the same cc.

I had a Stihl 261 and thought it was a great saw. Was not impressed with the build quality of the 241 I tried, but it cut well.

Right now my favorite 50cc pro saw is the Echo CS-501P. Costs less than the Stihl 261 and higher performance. Can order them through Home Depot online or see an Echo dealer. I've owned/tried all the major pro 50cc saws in recent years, and think this Echo is the best of the current batch. Next best would be the Husky 550XP.

The hours rating doesn't have anything to do with rebuilding the saw. It's a number of hours that the saw is rated to operate under the emissions standards for that model. I personally know a woman with an 025 with at least 400 hours on it with no maintenance other than a new plug and air filter. That said, the pro saws are certainly designed for more continuous use, and also for much easier rebuilding, when the time comes. A 261 with a roached top end or a blown seal is worth rebuilding. A 251 probably isn't.

Echos are great saws, but unless you are planning on working on them yourself, ordering them online or buying at home depot would be a bad choice. A good dealer with parts in stock is pretty important, in my book anyway. Also, it's worth noting that there have been 4 versions of the 261, a new version and an old one both available in manual carb or m-tronic. The new version is considerably lighter and has a hair more power than the old version. Echo definitely makes a less expensive product, and some people like them a lot. Most people who swear by them say that they need to have the carb limiters trimmed and a muffler mod before they're good saws. They're set very lean from the factory to meet emissions standards.

Thanks for the feedback. I think im also going to take a look at the makita/dolmar EA 4300 F which is replacing the dolmar ps 421.

They're great little saws! If you don't have a local dealer, call Nate at Performance Outdoor Equipment in Ohio. Great guy to deal with. He has a solid reputation among Dolmar owners and can set you up right.

/ stihl ms 251
I currently own a echo blower and hedge trimmer,both are very good products,but for a chain saw i think will go either another stihl or a makita/dolmar. Im going to stop by my local stihl dealer this week to look at a 261. thanks for the advice.

/ stihl ms 251 #13  
The hours rating doesn't have anything to do with rebuilding the saw. It's a number of hours that the saw is rated to operate under the emissions standards for that model. I personally know a woman with an 025 with at least 400 hours on it with no maintenance other than a new plug and air filter. That said, the pro saws are certainly designed for more continuous use, and also for much easier rebuilding, when the time comes. A 261 with a roached top end or a blown seal is worth rebuilding. A 251 probably isn't.

Echos are great saws, but unless you are planning on working on them yourself, ordering them online or buying at home depot would be a bad choice. A good dealer with parts in stock is pretty important, in my book anyway. Also, it's worth noting that there have been 4 versions of the 261, a new version and an old one both available in manual carb or m-tronic. The new version is considerably lighter and has a hair more power than the old version. Echo definitely makes a less expensive product, and some people like them a lot. Most people who swear by them say that they need to have the carb limiters trimmed and a muffler mod before they're good saws. They're set very lean from the factory to meet emissions standards.

We may have discussed this before. The hour rating ties into how long the manufacturer wants to certify the saw will meet emissions standards and that comes down to a combination of 1) ring, piston, cylinder quality/construction/longevity, and 2) how much risk/cost the manufacturer is willing to accept that the saw will indeed last. It's like a "bet" on the saw, and is a very good indication of the quality of the saw and the amount of hours you can expect to put on it before it needs a rebuild, even if the exact hour numbers don't translate. You can compare a 251 and 261 and make your own judgement call, but to me it's painfully obvious why one is a 50 hour saw and the other is a 300 hour saw, and it's way more than the emissions certification. I am sure the 251 will need a rebuild long before the 261 -- of course, ironically, the 261 would be far easier to rebuild!

I have run the new and old versions of the 261, and while the newer version has lost some weight (mainly in the clutch cover and handle) and gained performance, it's still not on par with the 550XP or CS-501P. Both the Husky and Echo have more guts at 50cc. I believe the Echo is marginally lighter still, right out of the gate. I don't know why it took Stihl several revisions to cut weight on their saw. And the fact that they did it by shrinking the clutch cover is silly, as the saw already suffered from poor chip discharge with the old cover. They needed to make fundamental changes to the saw body and design, but instead they cut weight on the bolt-on parts.

The 501P is the first Echo I have tried in a long time that needed no carb tweaking. Out of the box it ran great and really screams. Strongest 50cc saw I have run since I started testing saws in 2010 or so.

/ stihl ms 251 #14  
We may have discussed this before. The hour rating ties into how long the manufacturer wants to certify the saw will meet emissions standards and that comes down to a combination of 1) ring, piston, cylinder quality/construction/longevity, and 2) how much risk/cost the manufacturer is willing to accept that the saw will indeed last. It's like a "bet" on the saw, and is a very good indication of the quality of the saw and the amount of hours you can expect to put on it before it needs a rebuild, even if the exact hour numbers don't translate. You can compare a 251 and 261 and make your own judgement call, but to me it's painfully obvious why one is a 50 hour saw and the other is a 300 hour saw, and it's way more than the emissions certification. I am sure the 251 will need a rebuild long before the 261 -- of course, ironically, the 261 would be far easier to rebuild!

I have run the new and old versions of the 261, and while the newer version has lost some weight (mainly in the clutch cover and handle) and gained performance, it's still not on par with the 550XP or CS-501P. Both the Husky and Echo have more guts at 50cc. I believe the Echo is marginally lighter still, right out of the gate. I don't know why it took Stihl several revisions to cut weight on their saw. And the fact that they did it by shrinking the clutch cover is silly, as the saw already suffered from poor chip discharge with the old cover. They needed to make fundamental changes to the saw body and design, but instead they cut weight on the bolt-on parts.

The 501P is the first Echo I have tried in a long time that needed no carb tweaking. Out of the box it ran great and really screams. Strongest 50cc saw I have run since I started testing saws in 2010 or so.

Good post. I know that the hour rating for the emissions regulations is tied to the quality of the saw, and as you point out, the two models are very obviously different levels of quality. I just didn't want the OP to think that he'd have to count on a rebuild after 50 hours of run time on a 251 or 250. Granted I've never run a 251, but i have several hours on an 025, and I know several people with 025s and 250s that have been great saws. I hear lots of people say that tree services will use them as a ground saw, because they hold up well and cost half what a 261 costs. That said, if it's a saw that I'm gonna own for years, personally I think the price increase is worth it for me because if the benefits to the operator, namely, more user friendly, better power to weight ratio, and most importantly it puts a bigger smile on my face in the cut.

I've never run that Echo model, but I'd love a chance to. My 261 is a great saw, but I know a 550xp is lighter and more nimble. That said, the 550 has been a bit troublesome for many people. I have run one, and it was a great saw (after the top end was replaced under warranty), but for me, the 261 was a better choice. I can't even buy a Husky fuel line less than 25 miles from here, but I've got many Stihl dealers. Plus, I got a great deal on a 261 with heated handles, so I couldn't pass it up.

/ stihl ms 251 #16  
You sold me at heated handles! Lol

That's how I felt! I don't understand why, but stihl won't sell their heated handle saws in the US. Mine came from a friend in Canada. You can buy heated saws from Husky (they have a G after the model, 550xpg for example) or Dolmar (H after the number, 5105H), but not Stihl.

But yes, it's an awesome feature. I cut most of my wood in the winter, and do a lot of thinning then too. Could I live without it, sure, but it definitely makes cutting in cold or wet conditions much more pleasant.

/ stihl ms 251 #17  
I have a 20 year old 025 that's not needed anything other than air filters and a fuel tank vent. It's remarkably difficult to start for a saw that size though. Not a problem for wood cutting but for my brush work where I stop the saw every few cuts to haul stuff out of the way it gets tiring after a tank of gas. I'm very fit but thin; a burly guy would not notice it.

I recently got an Echo 352 for brush work. It's lighter and much easier to start. The build quality is not as good as the homeowner Stihl let alone the pro level (I have a 362CM as well). But it's good for the price. It was kind of lean but acceptable at 2000' with the limiters on. I removed them and the catcon and it runs cooler and makes a little more power. I would not hesitate to recommend an Echo for homeowner use. A pro level Stihl will be nicer of course, it's a matter of how much you want to spend. The Echo has tiny fuel and oil openings and poor air filtering. I added oiled foam filter material to try to keep dust out of the carb. My brush cutting is dirtier than cutting trees, and the larger Echos have different air filters. So it's probably not an issue for them.

/ stihl ms 251
Well bought a new makita dolmar 4300 f today.dealer had to order it.got it brought it home.tag says made in china.not happy. should of went with echo.Thought i was buying german made dolmar,end up with china made makita.

Last edited:
   / stihl ms 251 #19  
Echo is a Japanese company but to be honest, I'm not sure where they are built. I thought Sthil was still be made by Sthil. Someone told be they were there only brand, still making there own.

Well bought a new makita dolmar 4300 f today.dealer had to order it.got it brought it home.tag says made in china.not happy. should of went with echo.Thought i was buying german made dolmar,end up with china made makita.

/ stihl ms 251 #20  
The Echos I have owned have been made in Japan or USA or a combination. Stihl is either made in the USA or Germany. My 461 was made in Germany but my other Stihls were made nearby me in Virginia Beach VA.