Stihl MS250 rebuild.

/ Stihl MS250 rebuild.
Well the good news is it runs and I figured where the missing screw went. The bad news is it will not idle and the chain is over oiling badly.

For the idle it will idle nicely if I do it with the trigger a little bit and the chain is not turning. I assume I just need to adjust the screws some.

The chain over oiling I am looking for ideas. When I put it back together I was more worried it would not oil.

/ Stihl MS250 rebuild. #32  
Ethanol did not cause your piston seizure. It gets blamed for a lot of problems that it does not cause. Stihl calls for 89 octane. I'd run 91 octane E10 over 87 octane E0. Two strokes don't handle detonation well. Just a little can result in piston seizure. And unlike with four strokes, you can't hear it. Your piston did not look like it suffered from detonation but it's better to be safe. Your new piston and cylinder may have higher compression or not as good a squish area, either of which would make it more sensitive to detonation.

Gas with ethanol goes stale quicker than E0. To combat that, use a fuel stabilizer and empty the tank and run the carb dry if the saw's going to be sitting for months. E0 goes stale too, so it won't save you from needing to do that.

/ Stihl MS250 rebuild.
Yeah, I did not really buy into the ethanol causing the problem. I suspect in spite of me not knowing how, the saw did not have enough or any oil in the fuel at some time.

I got it tuned up and idling good now. It accelerates really good to, but I have yet to cut with it.

How would I rate rebuilding a saw on a difficulty scale? Not hard but not beginner stuff either.

/ Stihl MS250 rebuild. #34  
Yeah, I did not really buy into the ethanol causing the problem. I suspect in spite of me not knowing how, the saw did not have enough or any oil in the fuel at some time.

I got it tuned up and idling good now. It accelerates really good to, but I have yet to cut with it.

How would I rate rebuilding a saw on a difficulty scale? Not hard but not beginner stuff either.

It's a fun project and you really get to know your saw inside and out. I did this with an 034 Super last year. The saws power degrades slowly over time and once rebuilt it's a pretty good wow factor.

/ Stihl MS250 rebuild.
I sure did get to know it inside out. I am sure if I did it again it would take half the time.

I used it today, roughly a tank of fuel. It may break in a little better and make more power but I was a little disappointed in the power. Not the best chain so that did not help. The problem is I bought a MS261 a few months ago. It is rated at 4hp and the MS250 at 3hp. A very noticeable difference when cutting wood. I remember when I got the 261 I was not that impressed but now that I have the 250 running I realize how much better it is. The 261 weighs only about half a pound more than the 250.

I think it is all sorted out. I researched the over oiling problem and emptied the oil tank and blew air into it, seems ok now. There is no adjustment for the Oiler. Thanks for all the input from everybody.

/ Stihl MS250 rebuild. #36  
I sure did get to know it inside out. I am sure if I did it again it would take half the time.

I used it today, roughly a tank of fuel. It may break in a little better and make more power but I was a little disappointed in the power. Not the best chain so that did not help. The problem is I bought a MS261 a few months ago. It is rated at 4hp and the MS250 at 3hp. A very noticeable difference when cutting wood. I remember when I got the 261 I was not that impressed but now that I have the 250 running I realize how much better it is. The 261 weighs only about half a pound more than the 250.

I think it is all sorted out. I researched the over oiling problem and emptied the oil tank and blew air into it, seems ok now. There is no adjustment for the Oiler. Thanks for all the input from everybody.

Don't give up on the Power level just yet...

When I went through and did some mods to my Husky 350's just running a few tanks of fuel made a noticeable difference in power and compression. ,
I measured ~ 20 PSI increase in cold crank compression between reassembly and after breaking the saws back in.

It was even obvious just pulling the pull start cord after a bit of running time.

Modifying the squish and putting a flat top piston and new ring + breaking in one of the Husky's took it from 105 psi to 167 psi

Muffler modding it further improved the power. I may even get into doing some porting eventually, but for now pretty satisfied with the power.

If you get bored with the saw maybe the Stihl 250 can be hopped up a bit to. Muffler mods seem to wake up many saws
just something to consider..

ps. Congrats, on successfully rebuilding your saw- 2 running saws beats having only 1 runner any day:thumbsup:

/ Stihl MS250 rebuild. #37  
A lot of Chinese cylinders have smaller ports and/or shorter port timing than Stihl. That can reduce performance. They can also have more squish clearance. If squish is too great that will reduce performance and make them more succeptible to detonation.

With a clamshell engine like this it's hard to change squish clearance. You can't just mill the cylinder base because the cylinder is also the top half of the crankcase. People have done it but it takes some serious machinist skills.

Also it will take a few tanks of gas to break in and get the best seal from the rings.

/ Stihl MS250 rebuild.
I actually have a third saw, I can not even remember what kind, Homelite maybe. I have used it maybe 3 time in the last 15 years to get a pinched saw loose. It is a piece of junk, no power, tiny chain, I do not take care of it, but it always seems to start.

Just looking at the Hiway replacement engine I got, it seems like a quality piece, when comparing to the old one it seemed the same, but without taking measurements hard to say.

/ Stihl MS250 rebuild.
730E0C34-D0F8-4376-82B2-F6CE1E1CCF46.jpeg

So I have two chains for my 250 and put a different one on and sharpened it. It cut much better, it actually did better than I expected. In the pic the saw is sitting on the piece I cut in half yesterday and the other one I cut in half today. I think yesterday I might have hit a rock first thing and likely dulled the chain. I cut these in half so I can get them up and on my splitter and handle then easier.