Stihl scratchin' my head

/ Stihl scratchin' my head #31  
I did use 87 octane gas in the Stihl for the first year or so and it seemed to run just fine. But the manual says the lower octane fuel may make the engine run hotter, so I do run the 89 octane in all 3 machines now.

I use the lower octane gas in my stihl's, never had an issue. I did "muffler mod" so that heat can release better. I also read in the manual that it said to use high test, but with the mod I don't see it necessary. I run my saws A LOT for fire wood, 35 face cord + a yr{11.7+ full cord}, and lumber milling.

/ Stihl scratchin' my head #32  
Part of the reason we prefer stihls is we find they start the best of them all and the MS 260's/036's need just one pull with choke to fire and then one pull without and it's running and they've all been the same.They'l run on their side all day long felling and you can leave them idling go off and do some tractor work ,come back and they're still running. It's been the huskies that need 4-5 pulls and feathering the choke to keep them running until warm and the Jonsereds i've given up having them serviced and set up repeatedly neither of which like idling much. We cut hundreds of cords every year and have always used dyed farm gas but i don't find any difference with premium gas.
In terribly cold weather i've had them all freeze up but the jonsered's were difinateley the worst for it.
It's funny the saw that is carried on the bulldozer for emergencies is an old JD55 from the 1980's that might only run a couple of times a year and always has stale gas in it never fails...???