STIHL Zero-Turn

/ STIHL Zero-Turn #41  
Don't believe Briggs is made in Milwaukee anymore. I believe they all come over in a container now.
“Briggs & Stratton builds over 9,000,000 engines in the USA each year. The company employs over 3,000 employees in six states. Wauwatosa, WI, is home to the company's headquarters and R&D center. Manufacturing plants are located in Poplar Bluff, MO; Auburn, AL; Statesboro, GA; and Sherrill, NY.”

“Briggs and Stratton is a huge company and has a notable presence overseas. Apart from cheap labor costs in China, the Asian market is quite significant for the American manufacturer. However, that's nothing to worry about — most of its engines sold in the US are actually made in the US.”

/ STIHL Zero-Turn #44  
I suppose it's just what you get used to. I've had front deck mowers from Yazoo to F series. I like the ability to get close to edges with a front deck but for me a ZT is more maneuverable. Those tricycle Yazoo's would put your butt on the ground.

/ STIHL Zero-Turn #45  
I just bought a Stihl zero turn RZ152 for $5600. It not the high end model you’re talking about. So far my impression is favorable. I love the 4 wheel suspension and the serviceability of the machine and the cutting performance is good also. I also like the fact that the local Stihl dealer has facilities to service the machine and carries parts.
A Stihl dealer told me yesterday that Stihl had bought about half interest in Ferris to produce the new Stihl Z-Turn mowers.

According to him Stihl will probably acquire 100% of Ferris in the coming years and Ferris will cease to exist.

Stihl is also building 3 new production lines in Virginia to increase production. Sounds like they are serious and intend to be in the business for a long time.

I had gone in to look at a new Grasshopper Stand On mower but the Stihl‘s sure looked nice. I’m sure they will be coming out with a Stand On mower by next year.
Sorry, didn’t get a pic.

/ STIHL Zero-Turn #46  

Another advantage to this deck is storage. It takes up less space on a trailer or in a garage.
My brother in law retired from Walker mowers in Fort Collins, CO. He was a fabricator and made the decks and other components. Those are awesome mowers but priced strictly in the serious commercial use category.

/ STIHL Zero-Turn #47  
My brother in law retired from Walker mowers in Fort Collins, CO. He was a fabricator and made the decks and other components. Those are awesome mowers but priced strictly in the serious commercial use category.
Sorry it's off topic but once I get going about Walker mowers I can't help myself. I always wanted one since I saw a lawn service using them. I drove from Illinois to Ohio to pick mine up. It's a 2000 model year and had almost 1000 hours on it. I paid over 3K I believe. I keep trying to talk my 81 year old father into buying a new one for 15K and leaving it to me but he hasn't gone for it yet. :) I could see myself as a salesman for Walker when I quit machining.

/ STIHL Zero-Turn #48  
What good could possibly come from taking away what little pleasure she gets ?
Well if she isn't bogarting the mower she's on the tractor. 😄 The zero turn is faster but easier to get into trouble. A couple weeks ago she got into some fencing that the renter left on the ground. She was a real trooper and climbed under the mower with me to untangle the mess.

Overall I'm glad she enjoys the farm. After we do our chores it's quiet time away from the suburbs.

/ STIHL Zero-Turn #49  
I haven't priced mowers lately but I'm guessing they are like everything else but that Stihl looks overpriced. I would look at a Gravely. I see that Stihl uses the same components.

ZTRs quality is basically made up of their Transaxles, Engines, Deck and spindles. Some would add seat but those are easy to replace. Most are using Hydro Gear transaxles, the higher the number the better. Don't go lower than HG3100, They are a low end commercial. If you are mowing commercially, get the HG5400, yes they will cost more.

Here is what I would require it to have for a homeowner. (Kawasaki engine, at least the HG3100 transaxle, at least a 10 gauge welded deck and good quality greaseable spindles. The Gravely ZTRs are one of the best for the money IMO. When we were looking to buy a new one we ordered a Gravely but in 2021 they were like bigfoot (couldn't find them).

So I ended up buying a used BushHog HDZ4 Commercial mower. It is a beast and will mow 13mph. It was a $12k mower new (Probably $17k now) and I got it used for $8k with 30 hours on it.

I don't think they are making bushHog ZTRs any longer.