stone coated metal shingles

/ stone coated metal shingles #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
I am going today to get an estimate from a second company to replace our roof.
1. its a 10/12 pitch (a-frame)
2. we have 3 skylights but are going to get them removed
3. full tear off
4. synthetic underlay with ice and water dam of 3' from edge
5. new ridgevent
6. 20 square
Our previous estimate was 18k, I am hoping this one comes in a bit less. I like that the scms (stone coated metal shingles) has my full lifetime warrenty, along with a transferrable 50 year warrenty. I also like the fire proof aspect.
Also the fastners are not exposed, and the way our house is situated we get summer storms from the sw which pulls at the shingles on the edges, and in winter storms from the N.
As you can see its a bit steep. I would love to do it myself, but its not safe for me to do it so I need to hire a pro.
I am planning on going with a green-ish shingle.

roof1001.jpg

roof1004.jpg

roof1002.jpg

roof1006.jpg

outside008.jpg

/ stone coated metal shingles #2  
I wish I lived out your way. I love to shingle but I don't think I would be much good carrying the bundles up a ladder anymore.:( It is definitely a young mans game. Good Luck!

/ stone coated metal shingles #3  
Keep us posted and send some pics! We are seriously looking at steel shingles for our 5/12. I got a sample, and estimated we could do it ourselves for about 9G. I would love to see how you make out.

/ stone coated metal shingles #4  
Just curious as to which brand of shingle you are pricing. I've seen samples of Decra and they looked good to me. Are there other brands?

Steve

/ stone coated metal shingles
   / stone coated metal shingles #7  
forgeblast:

I work for a Major building material distributor in New York State, we sold Decra for about a year. i delivered several jobs to the roof, and several weeks later went back and took them back down because the customers were not happy with the looks and workmanship of the materials. We do not sell decra anymore because it is a pain in the grass to install unlike asphalt.
Personally i have talked to different roofers who flat out refused to install decra because of this reason.
If it were me, i would look 2 ways .. . Standing Seam. It has a hidden fastner system, comes in a nice assortment of colors and is very user friendly but down the fall. EXPENSIVE. You can get panels up to 18" wide and i believe 48' long. We deal with IDEAL Metals, which is a Canadian based Company, don't know who is available in your area.
2nd. . . Lifetime asphalt shingle. Certainteed Roofing, an American based company, yea i said American, makes a brand called "Carriage House" and also "Grand Manor" which are Lifetime waranted
lifetime, limited transferable warranty
10-year SureStart warranty (100% replacement and labor costs due to manufacturing defects)
15-year StreakFighter warranty against streaking and discoloration caused by airborne algae
15-year, 110-mph wind-resistance warranty
wind warranty upgrade is available up to 130 mph. Specified CertainTeed starter and CertainTeed hip and ridge are required.

If you go to CertainTeed Manufacturer of Quality Building Products - CertainTeed there is a lot of info to be found. We sell about 60,000 sq of certainteed singles each year and have for a lot of years.
If i can be of any help PM me and i'll do my best. . . John
PS .. . i've been in this business now for 15 years.

/ stone coated metal shingles #9  
Our place in the Denver suburbs has covenants requiring either wood shake, concrete or coated steel shingles, no other options.

Thinking I was getting the best thing for the job we re-roofed 10yrs ago using concrete. I'm regretting that decision. They are brittle, heavy and the house is hotter. Every couple yrs we have to have a 1/2 dozen or so broken 'tiles' replaced

In a few years we're going to pop the top and add a second floor. When that's done we'll re-roof with steel shingles. Lots of people in the subdivision have them and all are pleased with both the look and durability.

Yes the steel shingles are more complicated to install, pretty much the same technique as the concrete tiles. That's where the added labor/expense comes into play compared to asphalt shingles.

Regarding 'looks' the steel shingle installs in our neighborhood look just fine. Frequently one needs to do a really close up look to see what kind of shingle they are, steel or concrete.

/ stone coated metal shingles
Back from number 2. I like number two, they have been around a long time, they are located close to us, and have great referrals(not saying number 1 doesnt either).
But....they are over 24k, which is 6k more then the first company and they (company 2) have never installed a stone coated metal roof before. Which leads me to belive the difference in price is from them having to buy equipment and or get trained which trickles to me. They really wanted to do our house also due to the fact that they want to use us in advertisments. They also instead of using a premium synthetic underlayment, were planning using certainteeds 30lb felt.
I am torn, but not 6k torn. 6k would allow us to get 3 new doors installed and do something to our mud room. Its a big difference.