Stone dust for traction on ice

/ Stone dust for traction on ice #1  

alexinPA

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
This winter is like never before... Temp mostly above freezing and snow melts and becoming ice on my sloping gravel driveway. I got an idea to put stone dust on ice for traction. In the spring i just rake it into existing gravel. Will it work? Than it's a storage question. Thinking about 5-6 yards to store outside with no salt. How?
Any recommendations? Thanks

/ Stone dust for traction on ice #2  
heck give it try and give us update.
If it's a fine dust not sure how much traction you shall get...need little more grit.

/ Stone dust for traction on ice #3  
I tried stone dust on ice a few years back. It works ok but isn't as good as coarser material. It did darken the road surface though which helped with sun melt.

It's expensive to use as anti skid and keeping the pile from freezing is also a problem.

/ Stone dust for traction on ice #4  
This winter is like never before... Temp mostly above freezing and snow melts and becoming ice on my sloping gravel driveway. I got an idea to put stone dust on ice for traction. In the spring i just rake it into existing gravel. Will it work? Than it's a storage question. Thinking about 5-6 yards to store outside with no salt. How?
Any recommendations? Thanks
Can you get “rice”? I used that with excellent success on ice.
It’s just one level coarser than stone dust.

/ Stone dust for traction on ice #5  
Our weather has been so screwy the last three or four years. About the time I get ready to spread some wood pellets( pellet stove stuff ) it turns nice and rains. Driveway dirt/sand get tracked onto what little ice there is. Problem solved.

/ Stone dust for traction on ice #7  
Is "rice" also crashed stone?
Yes, in my area it’s pulverized limestone or granite. Your quarry may/may not have it. I used to get a dump truck load of it when I cleared roads and lots. I downsized operations about 10 years ago and switched to 100lb bags of concrete sand.

/ Stone dust for traction on ice #8  
In my area, the highway department spreads crushed volcanic cinders, but sometimes coarse sand. Cinders might be hard to get in your area, but I’d guess coarse sand is available everywhere.

/ Stone dust for traction on ice #9  
Some mountain towns out west use DG (decomposed granite)
It is black and when the sun hits it the ice and snow melt.
But they have a lot more sunny days than the rest of us.

/ Stone dust for traction on ice #10  
Some mountain towns out west use DG (decomposed granite)
It is black and when the sun hits it the ice and snow melt.
But they have a lot more sunny days than the rest of us.
Even when it doesn’t melt, DG and cinders stick in the snow/ice and add roughness to the road, improving traction.