storm shelters

/ storm shelters #1  

woody

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, Kubota ZG222, Kubota L45, 1980 Ford 1700
got a new storm shelter and would like some ideas, picures of the landscaping or inside if you did something to it.

IMAG0257.jpgIMAG0256.jpg

/ storm shelters
18,000 lbs of concrete with a steel door

/ storm shelters #4  
Got any pics of it before it was covered? The vents look a little hokey to me, I would go straight up a few feet and have a couple of elbows with varmit/bug screens.
What kind of storms do you get or are you preparing?

/ storm shelters #5  
I would think in Al he would be concerned about tornadoes.

One thing you do not want is electricity. In that metal box if it did have an electrical surge from lightening...could get rather exciting in there.

/ storm shelters #6  
I would not like that the door opens out, even with the wings, storm damage things could block opening door once inside.

Dave

/ storm shelters #7  
I would think in Al he would be concerned about tornadoes.

One thing you do not want is electricity. In that concrete box if it did have an electrical surge from lightening...could get rather exciting in there.

You can move it if you like my idea, but I thought about doing this by putting it just outside of my bedroom so I could build a staircase going down to it. If in the middle of the night a storm hit, easy to dive in the hole without running out in the storm. And build the doors and staircase class5 storm certified. Might even have an outside door too for access if outside. Middle of the night storms would be my worry.

/ storm shelters #8  
I would not like that the door opens out, even with the wings, storm damage things could block opening door once inside.

Dave

I have to agree...We used to have a storm shelter built into a hill close to our house just like yours...but our steel door opened to the inside...imagine in a tornado or other catastrophe if debris were blown into and blocking the door and sealing you and your family inside...If I were you and you don't change the door to open in, then have some way to break it down...maybe a gas cutting torch stored inside...they sell as cheap as $300 =/- at Northern tool with a set of small tanks...then you could cut your way out....

/ storm shelters #9  
if your going to be cutting your way out, you may want those smoke hoods or gas mask.

/ storm shelters
we have had several tornadoes in the area and straight line winds, and yes the door opening to the outside does concern me but with the wings not so much and when I build my retaining walls I will try to build high enough to keep anything that falls above the door way. we also have agreement with neighbors that we check on them and they check on us, they have a home made shelter that has proved itself a couple of times.