storm shelters

/ storm shelters #11  
That agreement with your neighbors is worth it's weight in gold.

/ storm shelters #12  
here is a cellar I built a few years back, on the top right hand picture, if you look close there is a wrench that is fastened to the wall, what one does not see in the picture is a plate that is bolted on the bolts were welded on the out side, and the wrench is bolted on one of the bolts, and there is a small shovel and pry bar, as well on the ledge, take off a few bolts, pop the plate and if not frozen your dug out in a few Min's.

Attachments

• cellar.jpg
    cellar.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 585
   / storm shelters #13  
good idea BHD. Never know when debris will block your exit door.

/ storm shelters #14  
actualy there is a phenomenon in steel boxes that are buried in the ground that make you safe inside them cant remeber what it's called but the electricity goes directly in the ground while your safe inside

/ storm shelters #15  
actualy there is a phenomenon in steel boxes that are buried in the ground that make you safe inside them cant remeber what it's called but the electricity goes directly in the ground while your safe inside

A Faraday cage

/ storm shelters #16  
So, am I right in thinking you don't want electrical circuits in an underground storm shelter or is it ok as long as it's metal or concrete and is grounded? Grounded would be as simple as burying the box.

I read that years ago on a storm shelter site but we all know just because you read it on the internet doesn't mean it is always true.

/ storm shelters #17  
I like the looks of your storm shelter and will have to get one myself when I build my pole barn house on my farm in Iowa. I will use it as a root and storm cellar. Could you tell me what it cost and what company you used.
Thanks for the post,
Gordon

/ storm shelters #18  
Thankfully I don't (have to) know diddly about tornadoes living in the Pacific Northwest. Depeinding on whether you get rain (or lots of hail) during or after a twister it seems a bunker-in-a-hole may fill up with water on occasion, and any mud sliding down against the door would be pretty tough to overcome from the inside.

/ storm shelters #19  
I personally would t want electricity wires runnig to my shelter they could make it more dangerous getting out. 12 volt battery and a power inverter. However lighting strikes in a properly built faraday cage( you can look up details) are non concern . More concern with items that could block exit like trees or car etc

/ storm shelters #20  
hey petes, you don't have to worry about tornados...and we don't have to worry about mudslides...lol. Every location has it's good and bad.