Strange stuff when posting from Word

/ Strange stuff when posting from Word #1  

s1120

Veteran Member
Tractor
87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N
I have a strange problem. When ever I type up a post in Word, and transfer over to TBN, all the quotation marks, and apotrfy show up as a line of strange characters. It almost looks tike the computer is swearing at me. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Is this normal with everyone? Is it just me? Am I doing something wrong?

Just as an example ' comes out as ‘

/ Strange stuff when posting from Word #2  
Nope, Paul, it's not you. It does the same thing for others, and this topic came up once before and I think someone posted an explanation, but I'm not sure I understood it. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Strange stuff when posting from Word #3  
Winword uses special characters, like curly quotation marks, when you have AutoCorrect turned on. Those are actually HTML characters when you post, but we don't allow HTML characters in posts. So they get converted to the HTML code for that character.

So, if you write your posts in Winword, you need to turn off AutoCorrect.

Here's a bit from the Winword help file:

Change curly quotes to straight quotes and vice versa

Microsoft Word automatically changes straight quotation marks ( ' or " ) to curly (smart, or typographer's) quotes ( or ) as you type. You might not want curly quotes in some cases, for example, if you're using quotation marks to designate feet and inches. To turn this feature on or off:

1) On the Tools menu, click AutoCorrect, and then click the AutoFormat As You Type tab.

2) Under Replace as you type, select or clear the "Straight quotes" with "smart quotes" check box.

/ Strange stuff when posting from Word
Thanks Muhammad, I will give that a shot.