Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #251  
The other union at that job voted themselves out of the union. They'd had it with a handful of abusers that couldn't be touched, and the company offered them better pensions through the 401K than the union could offer. So they took a vote and that was that. Then the abusers could be disciplined like any other employee. A couple shaped up, a few quit, and a few got fired. The rest stayed on quite happily.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #252  
My wife is a health care consultant for large corps and unions on their health insurance design and rating. The one group she hates to work with is the teachers union. They want every benefit under the sun, but when she provides the rating for those benefits, they whine and play the broke teacher card. It's like they think things are free...
That's exactly how they are here in my state.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #253  
   / Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #254  
My wife is a health care consultant for large corps and unions on their health insurance design and rating. The one group she hates to work with is the teachers union. They want every benefit under the sun, but when she provides the rating for those benefits, they whine and play the broke teacher card. It's like they think things are free...

The best is when she goes to the national meeting to present the benefit options. The teachers union will not let her set anything up, they have to do it. The people that set it up are employed under the national teachers union corporate umbrella. If the conference is three days long, they get paid for 72 hours worth of work, they are on the clock the entire time even when sleeping. All this team of people does is set up the projector and take it down for her. It's a racket.
Your turn conformation bias for you and wifey.😘 Feel better now?:D

Last edited:
   / Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #255  
I am not covered by a collective bargaining agreement but work with many who are. The apparent claim here is that union workers are lazy no good cheats that are hell bent on destroying the company isn't what I see. Sure, there are bargaining unit employees who are not exemplary but I see this among both groups. The idea that in non-union world you are surrounded by loving, caring employees with only the company's best interest in mind is just not true. I would bet that each of us have seen members of both groups, union and non-union, who shouldn't be employed.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #256  
The difference is that in a nonunion environment, A lazy worker who undermines success of the team can easily be managed out. The union is no longer trying to solve real problems. They make excuses for the guys who don't work and undermine those who do for making them look bad.

Wife managed on the shipping floor at one of the big breweries in MKE. The stewards were a joke. The union protects seniority above performance, that alone makes them counter to success.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #257  
Nope, union types are those who put the union first. There are plenty of us who are in unions only because it is a requirement for the job. In my case, it is the only way to get liability insurance. My new 'union' is that in name only. They provide access to insurance without spending our money supporting political issues without member input.
Kind of Fickle approach..But go with it if it makes you feel better. 😁

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #258  
The difference is that in a nonunion environment, A lazy worker who undermines success of the team can easily be managed out. The union is no longer trying to solve real problems. They make excuses for the guys who don't work and undermine those who do for making them look bad.

Wife managed on the shipping floor at one of the big breweries in MKE. The stewards were a joke. The union protects seniority above performance, that alone makes them counter to success.
The lazy worker who undermines the success of the team sometimes gets a promotion, or a lateral move. The claim that the lazy no-good malcontents exist only on the union side just doesn't fit with reality. Most union contracts provide for a "just cause" standard to be met prior to discipline or discharge. I think that is reasonable.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #259  
Most union contracts provide for a "just cause" standard to be met prior to discipline or discharge. I think that is reasonable.
This is where I favor unions and don't favor unions. In my younger years when I was entering the work force I worked for several people prior to joining the family business that dealt very unfairly with me. I was fired from a couple of jobs with no warning or opportunity to address the issues that the employer terminated me for. There were no second chances given and that stuck with me the rest of my life. It turned out that both of those employers couldn't keep help and one is no longer in business (gee I wonder why :rolleyes:) Had there been a union that would not have happened and there would have been an opportunity to correct the situation. At the same time, I have seen how the teachers union and the government has protected it's employees when they should of been fired. It doesn't even make sense that federal employees have a union. That is the biggest example of how unions can be misappropriated and then weaponized to protect people that should of long been gotten rid of.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #260  
The lazy worker who undermines the success of the team sometimes gets a promotion, or a lateral move. The claim that the lazy no-good malcontents exist only on the union side just doesn't fit with reality. Most union contracts provide for a "just cause" standard to be met prior to discipline or discharge. I think that is reasonable.
The difference is one of direction. The union actively protects the lazy workers. I never said there were no lazy workers outside of unions. A few may even slip through the cracks due to bad management, but it is not a way of life. In non union shops lazy worker sticking around is an aberration. In union shops, lazy workers are applauded in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.