Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #601  
History shows that those that do all the right things often have similar outcomes as those who don't when it comes to insurance because government covers the shortfall...

Fires, Floods, Earthquakes, Tornados, etc...

Health Insurance really is no different...

I started paying my own Prudent Buyer health insurance at age 18... It was not an optional as laid out by my parents... started at $48 a month and it took one weekend of my weekend job to cover it... paid into it 15 years until I went to work where benefits offered...

Not a single claim in 14 years. At one time I wanted to upgrade and was told I had insufficient medical records and would have to pay for a full physical and blood work to be considered...

I guess having no claims was a red flag?

Covered California is suppose to cover everyone and I know families that pay nothing but if I sell Real Estate I'm slapped with a tax for insurance???
Insurance, like it or love it, is the backbone of the economy. Who could afford a house if you couldn’t insure the mortgage against physical loss from fire, flood, windstorm, etc and therefore would have to pay cash or put up other property to secure a loan? Nobody, same with liability coverage, health insurance and business insurance, life insurance.

They are the ultimate middle man and their money greases all the wheels in the economy. They are the goose that lays the golden egg at the right time. The system would not work without them.

That is exactly why all insurance is closely regulated. Not near closely enough for me but close enough to make the rest of the country to feel ‘safe’ that their future is protected.

Insurance is an ‘essential scam’.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #602  
If they are truly independent contractors, that is a completely above board, and entirely in keeping with what our free market system is all about.
...It is completely legal to be an independent contractor. And completely legal for a business to hire an independent contractor to do a job for them. The difference can look like not much difference at all, but it is a real difference in that everyone knows, understands, and agrees to the way the job and compensation works.
I didn't mean to imply that it is illegal, it most certainly isn't. Being 'legal and above board' and doing what is best for all are sometimes two very different things. Using contractors to replace full time employees is a trend that is growing. Companies that used to use full time hire employees to do a job now hire "contractors" to do the same work instead. We are not talking about what we commonly think of as independent contractors; people who are experienced at a specialized service and know how to run a business. The type of contractors I am talking about aren't usually people with a lot of (or any) business acumen. They have no idea of overhead and the cost of doing business. They quite possibly graduated from high school and can't even count change. They are working at entry level positions. They do these jobs because not because it is a good deal but because it is a job they can get. Some of the these contractor positions I have seen most recently are commercial fishing jobs, a lot of electronic related positions (Dish TV installers for instance), non-union skilled trades (entry level and above carpenters, laborers, electricians, roofers etc.) agricultural workers, Uber drivers, truck drivers, car wash employees, etc. I am not saying this can't work well for the 'contractor' in the short term, but in terms of benefits it more frequently means it doesn't work at all. Nor am I saying it is always inappropriate. But I am saying that it is starting to be used by some businesses as a way to avoid social responsibility.

You are absolutely correct in that is entirely in keeping with what our free market system is all about these days. If you can take advantage of someone, do it.

Another popular and fully legal ploy, especially for young employees is to hire them just part time and hire a lot of employees to fill the hours they need. (That strategy has some problems in finding enough people these days, but it is still what they do). In many States this allows you to avoid paying out certain benefits, (workman's comp) as well as health insurance, retirement programs, etc . This is common in the fast food business in our area. These McJobs supposedly targeted for people just out of high school are often being filled by people raising families.

If you listen to many people, all of the people who are poor and use social benefits are bums, drug addicts, incorrigibly lazy, illegal aliens, irresponsible, or whatever other kind of low life. I don't disagree for a second that there is a sizable percentage who are some form of lowlife, and I don't have a lot of sympathy for them. (However a percentage of those could be classified as mentally ill, but that is another sad story). But I know damn well that a lot of people on the bottom of the pile that aren't at all of that nature. Far more than many of us who have money might think.

I am not against free enterprise or the free market system at all. There is not a better way. But I don't think the goal of it should be for some to manipulate it so as to earn enough to live a life of luxury at the expense of others who can't earn enough to afford basic necessities. Our system needs tweaking, and we often tend to just blame it on the poor for being poor as opposed to trying to fix it. I sometimes just don't get it.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #603  
Insurance, like it or love it, is the backbone of the economy. Who could afford a house if you couldn’t insure the mortgage against physical loss from fire, flood, windstorm, etc and therefore would have to pay cash or put up other property to secure a loan? Nobody, same with liability coverage, health insurance and business insurance, life insurance.

They are the ultimate middle man and their money greases all the wheels in the economy. They are the goose that lays the golden egg at the right time. The system would not work without them.

That is exactly why all insurance is closely regulated. Not near closely enough for me but close enough to make the rest of the country to feel ‘safe’ that their future is protected.

Insurance is an ‘essential scam’.
Insurance policies all coming due and lots of added exclusions this year...

One area is breed or history of dog no matter if owned or not owned by policy owner homeowner...

Of course if service animal breed restrictions don't apply..

Getting more complicated to navigate and premiums up, up, up...

Added are restrictions on replacement costs with a new section putting the onus on the insured to carry enough... whereas prior you could accept the insurers estimate and inflation factor and be guaranteed...

Apparently all costs are through the roof after devastating fires wiping out thousands of homes or pandemics?

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #604  
Offering insurance is highly regulated. I own property in two states. I cannot have a single insurance agency handle insurance for those properties. I need an agency in CA for those properties, a separate one in NV for those properties.

Same goes for vehicles. I have vehicles titled in multiple states. Even if you deal with a national company, such as Allstate, you are required to deal with different agencies for each state.

I previously employed people in many states simultaneously. We complied with all the complex payroll, HR, and workmen's comp regulations in each separate state. So------ why can't a large insurance company be allowed to do the same?

I see the downside to restricting insurance to within one state. I've yet to figure out the upside?????
banks are the same, to some degree.

BOA in AZ follows AZ banking laws, in Cali, follow cali banking laws.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #605  
I didn't mean to imply that it is illegal, it most certainly isn't. Being 'legal and above board' and doing what is best for all are sometimes two very different things. Using contractors to replace full time employees is a trend that is growing. Companies that used to use full time hire employees to do a job now hire "contractors" to do the same work instead. We are not talking about what we commonly think of as independent contractors; people who are experienced at a specialized service and know how to run a business. The type of contractors I am talking about aren't usually people with a lot of (or any) business acumen. They have no idea of overhead and the cost of doing business. They quite possibly graduated from high school and can't even count change. They are working at entry level positions. They do these jobs because not because it is a good deal but because it is a job they can get. Some of the these contractor positions I have seen most recently are commercial fishing jobs, a lot of electronic related positions (Dish TV installers for instance), non-union skilled trades (entry level and above carpenters, laborers, electricians, roofers etc.) agricultural workers, Uber drivers, truck drivers, car wash employees, etc. I am not saying this can't work well for the 'contractor' in the short term, but in terms of benefits it more frequently means it doesn't work at all. Nor am I saying it is always inappropriate. But I am saying that it is starting to be used by some businesses as a way to avoid social responsibility.

You are absolutely correct in that is entirely in keeping with what our free market system is all about these days. If you can take advantage of someone, do it.

Another popular and fully legal ploy, especially for young employees is to hire them just part time and hire a lot of employees to fill the hours they need. (That strategy has some problems in finding enough people these days, but it is still what they do). In many States this allows you to avoid paying out certain benefits, (workman's comp) as well as health insurance, retirement programs, etc . This is common in the fast food business in our area. These McJobs supposedly targeted for people just out of high school are often being filled by people raising families.

If you listen to many people, all of the people who are poor and use social benefits are bums, drug addicts, incorrigibly lazy, illegal aliens, irresponsible, or whatever other kind of low life. I don't disagree for a second that there is a sizable percentage who are some form of lowlife, and I don't have a lot of sympathy for them. (However a percentage of those could be classified as mentally ill, but that is another sad story). But I know damn well that a lot of people on the bottom of the pile that aren't at all of that nature. Far more than many of us who have money might think.

I am not against free enterprise or the free market system at all. There is not a better way. But I don't think the goal of it should be for some to manipulate it so as to earn enough to live a life of luxury at the expense of others who can't earn enough to afford basic necessities. Our system needs tweaking, and we often tend to just blame it on the poor for being poor as opposed to trying to fix it. I sometimes just don't get it.
did you say social responcibility?

what's that?

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #607  
did you say social responcibility?

what's that?
That is something individual people may have. Rather an artificial construct for a business. The business is there to provide income for the owner(s). Individual owners may feel the need to use their business toward some non-financial end, but it is the owner, not the business acting that way.

Maybe confusing legal responsibility with 'social'? Laws are sometimes directed at businesses that legally oblige the business to operate in a certain way. Is following driving laws a legal or social responsibility?

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #608  
big pharma needs that money to give to their lobiests to give to the senators.
Don't forget the Trial Lawyers Association... Most powerful lobbyists, but you never hear news about them.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #609  
I guess anything is possible but not that I know of.

It’s a nationwide trend of hospitals closing and leaving markets…

Many may not realize the amount billed is rarely the amount accepted as payment.

You have two patients having the same procedure the same day and doc and the amount accepted as full payment can be very different simply based on insurance contract or lack of insurance contract.

My point is for decades insurance companies often dictated a take it or leave reimbursement per procedure.

The problem is Insurance Companies need Hospitals to provide care.

So to gain negotiating power smaller regional facilities often partner with others to gain more favorable reimbursement for the discounted services offered.

The tipping point is when a particular hospital group becomes dominant in a region or the only game in town and now tells the insurance company how much it will pay for their insured to have surgery… a total 180 flip.

The insurance company either accepts and raises premiums or abandons customers in regions where it no longer has in network providers…
i was in the imaging business, the technical side but often i had to meet with "business managers".

A few docs get together and open a pain clinic but none of them want to do the dirty work....i don't blame them.

They hire someone to manage the business side of the clinic.

i won't forget, nice guy, hated his life, 3 strong drinks for lunch which loosened his lips.

2 things he said i will remember

1.....He spends 80% of his time doing collections.

2.....The have 2 different price lists, 1 for insured, 1 for uninsured.

Status
Not open for further replies.