String Trimmers

/ String Trimmers #1  

paulsharvey

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610 HST
I have a 3 year old Husqvarna 128 string trimmer that doesn't run anymore, but really doesn't have that many hours on. I replaced the primer bulb and carb a year ago, used it a few times and won't run more the minute or two now. Thinking about going with a cordless trimmer, like Kobalt 40v or Atlas 40V, or having the Husqvarna serviced. The Husq would obviously be more powerful, but the battery ones are real convenient, and kids/wife can easily start and use. Ive got two acres, about 0.75 of Yard yard, about 0.75 rough yard, some fence line, around the house ect. Anyone have thoughts on durability of the cordless or cost of deal service of Husq? My current cordless tools are Rigid, but they don't offer a weedeater. Ryobi 40V
Kobold 40V
Atlas 40V
Husqvarna 128 dealer service
other thoughts?

/ String Trimmers #2  
I just placed a DeWalt 60v weed wacker into service yesterday. I am running it with DeWalt 9.0AH batteries. 15 minutes of run time on high is all we got. A little disappointed in that. It runs so nice and quiet. Shreds grass really well. Lighter than Stihl FS90.

/ String Trimmers #3  
I have the Atlas 80V & it is impressive... granted this is my first season with it but I've use it every week since late April.... this time of year I use it about an hour (of total run time) per week. It is powerful, maybe not as powerful as the husky gas power unit I have... but this thing runs every time I pull the trigger (unlike the husky)... Battery life has been great usually still better than half a charge after use closer to 3/4 charge left.... No hot exhaust, super quiet & just gets the job done...

This is from someone that didn't want one.... it was a present from my wife... I think she was tried of me complaining about the husky gas unit.... I already had the battery for the pole chainsaw so after she gave it to me I figured I'd better give it a try.... Haven't looked at my husky in the corner of the shed since....

/ String Trimmers #4  
I wonder if my less than stellar battery time was het related?
Do batteries have shorter life in direct sun @ 95*? They are 9AH.
I see DeWalt makes a larger 12AH battery, but they are $245!
Thats $100 more than I paid for the 60v weed wacker brand new!

Last edited:
   / String Trimmers #5  
I have a 3 year old Husqvarna 128 string trimmer that doesn't run anymore, but really doesn't have that many hours on. I replaced the primer bulb and carb a year ago, used it a few times and won't run more the minute or two now. Thinking about going with a cordless trimmer, like Kobalt 40v or Atlas 40V, or having the Husqvarna serviced. The Husq would obviously be more powerful, but the battery ones are real convenient, and kids/wife can easily start and use. Ive got two acres, about 0.75 of Yard yard, about 0.75 rough yard, some fence line, around the house ect. Anyone have thoughts on durability of the cordless or cost of deal service of Husq? My current cordless tools are Rigid, but they don't offer a weedeater. Ryobi 40V
Kobold 40V
Atlas 40V
Husqvarna 128 dealer service
other thoughts?
I sold the 40v Kobalt trimmer and bought a 40v Ryobi one: MUCH more powerful. Think the 40v is still brushed in Kobalt line. They went to 24v for brushless stuff and even 80v in their mower. Told me they don't know what they're doing.

/ String Trimmers #6  
I really like my Milwaukee 18V. I can get a solid 45 min out of a 9AH battery. My lot is .5 acres. I can weedeat the whole thing including fence and edge the road and driveway and only use 1 of 4 bars on the battery. It's every bit as powerful as my Shindaiwa 242 was, if not even more powerful. I got a Stihl 131 a couple weeks ago and put a metal blade on it for my other property. That dude is the most powerful unit I have ever run but it's very heavy.

/ String Trimmers #7  
I'm running a 2-cycle Chinese unit I bought for $150 from Amazon. I'd consider it a brush cutter/clearing saw. The engine is about 42cc, bigger than a $1,000 Stihl.

/ String Trimmers #8  
I have a Makita cordless weed eater. It uses two 5.0 batteries and I've never had them run out of power before I was done doing my yard. It has plenty of power, and it's super easy to use. Probably the biggest surprise for me was how quiet it is. I knew that it would be quite, but I was so used to having an engine that it still shocks me when I use it and I don't need ear plugs. I also love how I can just put the batteries in and use it. No fuel to deal with, no pushing the primer to get it started, and best of all, no pulling a cord to get it started!!! Just pick it up and use it!!! My next cordless purchase will be a Makita blower to get dog hair off of my back porch.

/ String Trimmers #9  
My next cordless purchase will be a Makita blower to get dog hair off of my back porch.
You will love the Makita blower... we use all Makita cordless tools at work & we use the blowers regularly... even blowing off the tools (especially the saws) before putting them back in the trucks...

/ String Trimmers #10  
I use Honda HHT35 4 cycle trimmer. Starts on first pull, 10 years in commercial service with no repairs, uses straight gas (I use non-ethanol). Has a nice plastic jacket to wear that carries the weight on the shoulders. Came (at the time) with a 10" circular saw blade for clearing underbrush, of which mine has done a lot. Highly recommend.