Strong grapple (last question i promise!)

/ Strong grapple (last question i promise!) #21  
I don't know what machine you are putting this on but I'd seriously consider 1/4" ar400 vs 3/8". Don't waste your time with mild or a-36

/ Strong grapple (last question i promise!) #22  
I don't know what machine you are putting this on but I'd seriously consider 1/4" ar400 vs 3/8". Don't waste your time with mild or a-36
Second, AR is the way to go, could even do 5/16

/ Strong grapple (last question i promise!) #23  
Maybe Virx1 can chime in with the dimensions of his materials??

/ Strong grapple (last question i promise!) #24  
Since we have a metric dimension, then I used 10mm material. 10mm Slightly More Than 3/8 inch 0.393.
I have one mistake. if I build things for myself than thicker material than thinner.
After all, you still want yourself a better tool than mass production. Be the thicker and harder before it gets broken. It all depends on what you want him to do. Everything can be broken :)

/ Strong grapple (last question i promise!) #25  
DSC_2010.JPGDSC_2066.JPGDSC_2073.JPG

/ Strong grapple (last question i promise!) #26  
I agree. Thanks for posting your material thickness. Awesome pictures!!!

/ Strong grapple (last question i promise!) #27  
I believe Polemidis has the same goal as I do. Strong yet light grapple. Which is why I asked what machine this is going on. I've Ran a Terex loader with a root rake I could push 24" Dia 60' tall trees over with. When that wouldn't do out came the Hitachi excavator. While the rake on the Terex was nearly indestructible it weighs more than my little 2038 deere tractor does. Wouldn't do much good on the deere. My point is build for the machine. You can over build and not leave enough power to get the work done.

I don't know what alloy Vixr1 used but A36 has a 36ksi yield strength. A572 is 50ksi. Ar400 is 155ksi. More than 3 times the strength, Also has better impact an abrasion resistance. Save the weight, buy the better alloy.

Good luck

/ Strong grapple (last question i promise!) #28  
Virx,
I have a tractor about your size and am trying to decide what size of grapple I should have. How wide is your grapple?

/ Strong grapple (last question i promise!) #29  
I did 1800mm because I wanted to be as wide as a tractor.

/ Strong grapple (last question i promise!) #30  
Thanks, That's about what I was looking at. I'm thinking about a Tomahawk, either 66" or 72".