Stuck tractor - ways to lift?

/ Stuck tractor - ways to lift? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
Hi Guys,

We have had rain 19 out of 21 weekends this year. Needless to say, places are wet that have never been wet before.

I had to get my field mowed and I managed to get my 3020 stuck while pulling the mower yesterday. :D

I tried pulling it with my skidsteer...no go. I'm going to need to get the rear wheels up and some planks under it. I prefer to lift it and add the planks if I can. I'll reserve chaining planks to the rear wheels for the last resort.

My question has to do with where its safe to lift on the tractor. Can I put the skidsteer bucket under the axle shaft (where it sticks outside of the wheels) and try lifting there or am I going to bend the axle? I can't imagine an axle that thick could bend but since I've never lifted a tractor I didn't want to assume I'm not going to cause damage. I doubt the skidsteer will lift it anyway, but it might.

The other thing I wondered about is placing a railroad tie under the hydraulic 3-point lift and then dropping the lift. Will that lift the tractor? I've never used the 3-point and really don't know how much downward force they have.

I do have a highboy jack and I have a lot of timbers and planks available. The problem is the axles are right down on the mud so getting under them with a jack would be a challenge.

One railroad tie under each wheel would get it up off the frame and then I'd be able to pull it out with another tractor.

/ Stuck tractor - ways to lift? #2  
The three point generally has mo down pressure. I would remove the mower and drag it out of the way. Then use combo of planks and skid loader to pull tractor backward. If you have fel, it can help push.
Good luck!

/ Stuck tractor - ways to lift?
I called the JD dealer and as I suspected they didn't recommend lifting on the outside of the axle shaft. I guess I'm going to have to get under the drawbar or under the axles and try and lift it from there.

/ Stuck tractor - ways to lift? #4  
We had our CX80 stuck like this a couple of times and ran chains across the diameter of the tires then hooked chains to them that had been anchored, locked the differential and backed up winding the chains around the tires and pulling the tractor up and out. You can use boards, limbs, etc. under the chain if needed.

/ Stuck tractor - ways to lift? #5  
I called the JD dealer and as I suspected they didn't recommend lifting on the outside of the axle shaft.

Smart move.:thumbsup:

A spade some boards and a manual jack may be the easiest and do less damage.:)

If available pine or spruce branches make good padding on soft ground.

/ Stuck tractor - ways to lift? #6  
I called the JD dealer and as I suspected they didn't recommend lifting on the outside of the axle shaft. I guess I'm going to have to get under the drawbar or under the axles and try and lift it from there.

So, are they saying a JD axle shaft is not strong enough to support the weight of the tractor?

/ Stuck tractor - ways to lift?
So, are they saying a JD axle shaft is not strong enough to support the weight of the tractor?

The dealer said they didn't think it would be good for the bearings on the axle.

The weight would all be put on one end of the axle shaft and at the outermost end of the axle. My tires are full of fluid.

/ Stuck tractor - ways to lift? #8  

The drawbar bracket is the best place to lift the tractor.
As far as the response from the dealer...pretty smart, in fact. They can't give the OK to jacking a tractor in an uncontrolled environment. That would put any liability on them.
Now, if the OP paid the dealer to extract the tractor and they broke it...well, then it's on their dime.

I think TripleR posted the best method. I am kind of surprised no one has suggested using logs chained to the wheels yet.

So, I'll add a link to that YouTube vid:
YouTube - ‪Fordson tractor stuck in the mud‬‏

/ Stuck tractor - ways to lift? #9  
The dealer said they didn't think it would be good for the bearings on the axle.

The weight would all be put on one end of the axle shaft and at the outermost end of the axle. My tires are full of fluid.

Ah. you can't lift close to the wheel? Fluid filled tires would have no effect on axle loads if you're lifting the axle. Lifting the axle would put no more load on the axle/bearing than the normal load the tractor places on it. Surely the axle can take the additional load of the fluid filled tire, especially if you lift near the wheel.

IMO, I don't think a dealer would ever tell you to go ahead, that places liability on them should anything ever go wrong. Even though they may be right, their response is probably meaningless because there is nothing else they can say.

/ Stuck tractor - ways to lift? #10  
Absent a getting another vehicle close enough with a winch, TripleR probably has the most effective method yet. If there are any trees close and you have rope that is thick enough, tie the rope around the wheels (both wheels), through the spokes, and walk the tractor out backwards (in your lowest gear of course). If you have enough clearance, you can do the same on the axle itself and just let the rope wind itself around the axle as it pulls the tractor back. Of course, this requires two ropes. Just take your time and take it easy. Depending on how muddy your area is, you should only have go a few inches to a foot. Once you get the undercarriage clear, you are home free.

Hawk