Studded vs chains

/ Studded vs chains #11  
Without studded chains, my little 26hp couldn't climb that hill, having those up front also give excellent steering. Studded chains are very good up here, without chained-studs, no so much... I only try on the rear tires with ice studs, there're not as effective. Same for Regular chain, without stud - no much of a difference

Phil

Attachments

• P1010386.jpg
    P1010386.jpg
    692.3 KB · Views: 738
  • P1010395.jpg
    P1010395.jpg
    684.6 KB · Views: 569
  • P1010351.jpg
    P1010351.jpg
    760.8 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
   / Studded vs chains
Chilly807 said:
I've had excellent success with these chains, made by Tellefsdal...

The guys are right about them needing to be loose to work the best, Tellefsdal recommends that you be able to put a clenched fist between the side chains and the tire. Much better traction, less chain and tire wear, and smoother running on hard surfaces.

I think I'd be most concerned with losing screws or studs during the winter and then finding them with my car tires. A few ruined tires quickly adds up to the price of a good set of chains.

Sean

Where did you get the tellefsdal chains? Found their site but its German or something. Also, and this is off topic, what is that turnbuckle you have connected to the lower link of your 3 pt?

/ Studded vs chains #13  
Where did you get the tellefsdal chains? Found their site but its German or something. Also, and this is off topic, what is that turnbuckle you have connected to the lower link of your 3 pt?

I got them from my Kubota dealer, Nova International. I think Tellefsdal is Norwegian, although they do have some dealers in the US. Someone here found them in the States. I can't remember who it was, try a search on TBN for Tellefsdal. Aquiline Talons are the same chain I think.

The turnbuckle is Kubota's version of a telescoping adjustable arm to control the width of the 3-point hitch. They get mixed reviews, although I've had no problems with them.

Sean

/ Studded vs chains #14  
My Trygg chains are Norwegian too and look quite similar to the Tellefsdahl and Aquiline chains.

/ Studded vs chains
OK thanks, I didn't realize at the time I bought my chains how many different styles there were. Wish I had looked into that a little more before deciding to "save" a couple hundred by NOT getting them from Kubota.

/ Studded vs chains #16  
OK thanks, I didn't realize at the time I bought my chains how many different styles there were. Wish I had looked into that a little more before deciding to "save" a couple hundred by NOT getting them from Kubota.

European chains are expensive. They are excellent chains for ice but you can do almost as good with just v-bar chains that you can get for the fronts. If you are dealing with no ice, then keep what you have and just loosen them up some. Another alternative if you did not want to chain up the fronts is to get some v-bar cross link chain from TireChains.com. Fasten several of these to your regular chain if you need more traction for icy conditions. These guys are very helpful once you explain your needs.

/ Studded vs chains #17  
7mm or 5/16 studded chain.

Heavy studded chain (5/16) offer great protection and traction in deep wood area. But I got the light version witch are 7mm thick.

http://www.walcoequipment.com/file/walco_tire-chain.pdf

The light version is desing for snow removal and road work, it's the version I got. The other is great but it's an all purpose heavy duty version.

So far with the 7mm version my concrete floor still look nice!

Phil

/ Studded vs chains #18  
Chilly, Just wondering where you sourced your studded chains? I am next door to you in NB. My newly-acquired JD will not reverse back up my only slightly-sloping driveway in current conditions, which is a layer of glare ice under new snow. Had to extricate myself using the bucket. I tried studs but still no dice. Those aggressively studded tire chains look like the answer.

cheers
Rob

/ Studded vs chains #19  
I got them from Nova International in Windsor, NS. I've had them for 3 years and they're holding up well. They sell them under the brand name Norse, model is Super Tractor. I've been pretty happy with them on snow and ice.

Sean

/ Studded vs chains #20  
I got them from Nova International in Windsor, NS. I've had them for 3 years and they're holding up well. They sell them under the brand name Norse, model is Super Tractor. I've been pretty happy with them on snow and ice.

Sean
I deal with nova international and they are exceptional. I bought TryGG chains from them and man they are wicket. I run up the road and sometimes a link will break the odd time and putting links in are a pain so I am thinking about going with studs. Would studding all 4 tires be as good as chains just on the back tires?