Student Loan Debt?

/ Student Loan Debt? #91  
When student loans get "forgiven", who's NOT being paid. Someone's being shorted.

The government takes tax dollars and pays any other entity that has money coming. As usual, the taxpayer gets stuck with the bill.

I wish I hadn't paid off the house and cars, etc. Programs to forgive those loans must be next . . .

/ Student Loan Debt? #92  
I don't understand the Dorm requirement that is very much the norm today?

In my school, students were required to either live at home or in the dorm during freshman year. After that, it was open.

The stated goal was to provide some level of adult supervision to 18-year-olds that were fresh out of high school. Each dorm floor had an RA (resident assistant?), who was a graduate student. He certainly didn't rule with an iron fist, but he was there if things got too out of hand.

/ Student Loan Debt? #93  
In my school, students were required to either live at home or in the dorm during freshman year. After that, it was open.

The stated goal was to provide some level of adult supervision to 18-year-olds that were fresh out of high school. Each dorm floor had an RA (resident assistant?), who was a graduate student. He certainly didn't rule with an iron fist, but he was there if things got too out of hand.
During the 2016-2017 academic year, there were 29,298 total deaths among college students aged 18-24 in the United States. 29% of college student deaths are due to accidents, and 22% are due to suicide. One study found that 83% of college students believe that they are at low risk of death during their college years.

/ Student Loan Debt?

Hadn't thought of the supervision part...

I'm guessing late in life students are waiver eligible?

I was fortunate to commute to University and some semesters only 2 days a week starting at 8 am and last class over at 10:20 pm and working Friday afternoon and all day Saturday and Sunday managing a auto parts store...

My brother attended UC Berkeley and moved out on his own the day after high school graduation... he did get a waiver because he was supporting himself mucking out stalls at a riding academy and his job as the weekend stable manager included an onsite studio apartment inside the barn...

He pleaded hardship as he was paying his own way...

/ Student Loan Debt? #95  
   / Student Loan Debt?
A.I. DuPont High School was THE public school to attend in the wealthy North Wilmington suburbs for decades. Once charter schools got ahold in the area, attendance dropped in 2015 at the school to the point where they can no longer field a varsity football team. They played in the Delaware state championship for HS football in the early 2000’s. Teaching at the school turned atrocious and the parents took their kids out. Wilmington, DE has “bussing” where the school doesn’t serve the local constituents, it pulls inner city kids out to the suburbs, or could send wealthy suburban kids to inner city schools. You don’t know what school your kids will go to.

5 miles up the road, my wife teaches in a public school that is so well liked, people buy houses in the district just to send their kids there. There’s no bussing. Kids go to their neighborhood school. It’s predictable and stable. However, the real estate taxes are much higher.

It’s really hit & miss with education. There’s plenty of horror stories and theres also some dedicated, hard working teachers out there, too.
I've had homeowner friends that became renters in better school districts either selling their home or keeping their home as a rental...

Some of our local schools were scoring single digits... So even if you like your neighborhood the what about schools becomes an issue.

/ Student Loan Debt? #97  
Can't generalize too much. In some instances, the dorm requirement is tied to keeping an eye on students so they don't get themselves into trouble, but in other instances, the dorm RA's don't really supervise all that much and the dorm requirement is mostly a revenue generator.

/ Student Loan Debt? #98  
The government takes tax dollars and pays any other entity that has money coming. As usual, the taxpayer gets stuck with the bill.

I wish I hadn't paid off the house and cars, etc. Programs to forgive those loans must be next . . .
Sounds like EV’s.

/ Student Loan Debt? #99  

The govt could have provided loans directly to students but others wanted a piece of that pie -- banks. So the govt runs the money through the bank so they can take their cut for "handling" the loans. Oh, and the university takes a piece for themselves too for admin. When I was in college, I had 2 little kids and one of them was pretty ill at age 1.5yrs. We had no health insurance (couldn't afford it even back then) so I applied for what was called a short erm low interest emergency loan .... asked for 2K. When I went to pick up the check at student aid, the handed me a check for 1800 and showed me the payment (just over 3 yrs) ... I'd be paying something close to 2200 back. Tossed the check back to the person at student aid. I'm not paying 2200 to borrow 1800. Some was due to interest but a lot was due to "fees" at each level.

/ Student Loan Debt? #100