Studs vs chains for tires

/ Studs vs chains for tires #11  
My choice would be chains; they’ll be much better when your in deep snow, slush, off the driveway, trying to get unstuck….

I used studded tires on my plow truck because the pavement would ice up quick after making a pass. The studs would leave marks on the pavement from spinning the tires; no way to avoid it

My chains have never left marks; i have just the basic twisted link chains - not the V bar or anything “sharp” like that.

/ Studs vs chains for tires #12  
1 storm, will be happy to have a cab this winter!
View attachment 768601

That looks exactly like me plowing in our blizzard of 2016 ! I got a cab tractor that spring.
I had a similar plow (7' County Line) and an L3410 Kubota.
You're gonna love a cab in the winter.

/ Studs vs chains for tires #13  
Installing studs in ag tires:

/ Studs vs chains for tires #14  
i cant imagine studs doing anything to improve traction in plowing snow

chains and some weight on the 3 point... i can see a great improvement.

/ Studs vs chains for tires #15  
I used to live in Wisconsin and they outlawed
studs cause they destroy the roads.
IMHO I don't believe you can beat chains
a good set that is. If you don't have a cement
drive way and only have ice then I would go
with the studs! But if you have ice & snow how
will the studs help if you have a couple inches
of snow on top of the ice?? studs will be worthless

willy

/ Studs vs chains for tires #16  
800' driveway, 80" rear snow blower and double ring chains on the rear. I have been quite happy with this setup for the past 25+ years. I'd like a cab.... Chained up I have significantly more traction in 2wd vs no chains and 4wd with the diff locked.

/ Studs vs chains for tires #17  
Studded tires may slightly increase the wear on paved roads, it was and is a ridiculous reason to outlaw them.
I have run studded snow tires on sedans and 4wd's since the 70's the difference they make on ice and hardpacked snow is tremendous.
Do they help in deep snow? No, but when your tire chews it's way down to the hard pack or ice then they do help.
Are they as good as chains? heck NO. But seeing as how many new vehicles can not run chains that takes that option out of the equation.
I wish they would get more of the automatic chains built for the smaller vehicles.
I have looked at and considered the screw in studs for my front tires often they would be expensive for an adequate number to do a good job but still less then a quality set of chains. At $1400-$1500 per pair for my rears and $950-$1000 for my fronts versus $300-$400 for the fronts they are a consideration.

/ Studs vs chains for tires #18  
As someone that has icy conditions on sloped driveway to deal with, here's a story.

Last spring my SIL was dropping of my grandson as he does every Saturday morning. I knew the driveway would be icy that morning. It was warm the day before to get some melt and it was sub zero that night. I did not get up early enough to spread salt that morning so I was at the bottom of the driveway to meet him with a sled to pull my grandson and the days supplies up to the house. Instead of stopping he waved at me and spun his way to the top of the driveway with his studded tires. He got out and got the boy out and when he closed the door on the car it started sliding and slid over 100 feet all the way back down to the bottom of the hill. Luckily, no one was hurt and no damage was done, but it could have been worse.

He learned an important lesson that day.

Would I trust my tractor on my driveway with just studs? not a chance, not when I know the ice can get so hard that studs cannot dig in. I wouldn't even use ordinary chains. I use studded diamond pattern chains. I have no problems even when it is so icy that you can't stand up. I ordered the set of chains I have now before the tractor was delivered. Quite expensive, but worth every penny. Driving over the ice with them is sometimes enough to scar it up so you don't slip on your butt when you walk over it.

But I also went through 600# of salt last spring to keep it save for cars, and we run studded tires on all of our cars.

I don't have a paved driveway, just stone, but it really wouldn't matter to me what the chains might damaged if it was paved, safety is far more important. I just take is slow when I need to be on the road with them.

/ Studs vs chains for tires #19  
One side benefit of chsins is when you do have ice or built up hard packed snow, when you get a warmer sunny day, you can just drive up and down the driveway to help break it up and melt quicker. Can the plow off the broken up snow.

/ Studs vs chains for tires #20  
For the big jobs I use my JD4320. It has a loader and snowblower and I never need chains. However, I like to use the Kubota BX2680 for the lighter stuff. I have chains all the way around, and that little tractor is a tiny beast due to the traction the chains give her.

20161210_130654-2.jpg

20181110_105610-2.jpg