Stump grinder build

/ Stump grinder build
There was a used but new condition woodland mills grinder for sale locally for 1200$
I didn’t really care for the design. It looks like there would be too much back and forth.

/ Stump grinder build #72  
I remembered I have a full 4x8 sheet of 5/16 sitting out back in the steel pile, needs a bit of cleaning as it's been sitting outside for a few years, I dragged it up to the shop this evening. Now I just need to start drawing up the parts in CAD and order some greenteeth, a pto shaft, and the cylinders (once I figure out my dimensions).

/ Stump grinder build
Im looking forward to see what you come up with!
At 5/16 it should be heavy duty

/ Stump grinder build #74  
Im looking forward to see what you come up with!
At 5/16 it should be heavy duty
It'll pretty much look like yours for the most part lol, not a whole lot of ways to make these.
I think I have all the metal I need, just wish had a piece of 1 or 1.125 plate for the flywheel but I'll make do with 2 peices of .625 faced off and put together.

Last edited:
   / Stump grinder build #75  
What length pto shaft did you use? I just ordered my teeth today, they are backordered, says 2-3 weeks for delivery.

/ Stump grinder build
It seems everything is taking forever to move around these days.
My PTO shaft is 36” joint to joint when compressed.
Seems to be a good fit for mine at least.
I can’t wait to follow your build. (And get back to mine)

/ Stump grinder build
Added a couple of gussets today, added a kick stand.
Got it put back together, and gave it a couple of test runs. I think I need to put an orifice in the cylinders.

August 1, 2020 - YouTube

/ Stump grinder build #78  
Added a couple of gussets today, added a kick stand.
Got it put back together, and gave it a couple of test runs. I think I need to put an orifice in the cylinders.

August 1, 2020 - YouTube
I would recommend one way adjustable needle valves for both sides of the swing cylinder. This allows you to tune the speed of both the extend and retract to be the same or have it slow in only 1 direction if your only cutting on 1 side of the wheel so you can increase production. The height cylinder could probably get by with a fixed orifice.

/ Stump grinder build #79  
Any more progress? I've been collecting parts and making the CAD drawings for thr parts, hopefully will have some time to start cutting and welding soon.

/ Stump grinder build
I’ve actually been using it as is. I drove my little 4310 45 minutes each way to my mothers house last weekend and ground roughly 30 stumps. (Hurricane Dorian carnage) took me most of the day and left me with a sore neck, but it will make a huge difference when it comes to mowing the grass.

I still need to make a hinged shroud to catch the debris, it throws chips incredibly far.

I picked up some clips to mount the hydraulic hoses to tidy them up. But haven’t mounted them yet.

My wheel cuts in both directions. So I won’t need to have it go faster in one direction. (Since I’m cheap I’ll likely just suffer through feathering the controls)

I can’t wait to see what you come up with.