Stupid Things I Have Done

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #201  
Try unwrapping chicken wire from the drive shaft of your pickup... when you are just leaving home for the week and need to meet somebody.

A friend told me that it isn't fun.
I know some of the old open driveshaft trucks were a PITA hauling wheat, because they would wrap up the wheat straw.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #203  
My goodness.

And I thought I had troubles with my weed whacker getting grass all wrapped around the shaft.

What a mess.

MoKelly
All these kinds of stories reminds me of when I first got my Bush hog, first time out at our new house (5 acres) and new to tractor operating mowed over some hidden barb wire. What a job that was. Had to get bolt cutters from HF.☮✌🏻

/ Stupid Things I Have Done
All these kinds of stories reminds me of when I first got my Bush hog, first time out at our new house (5 acres) and new to tractor operating mowed over some hidden barb wire. What a job that was. Had to get bolt cutters from HF.🏻

That is a mess that was for you. Sorry.

Fortunately, when we got our place, I had already been reading this stuff and was told to “walk the area” before hogging.

I did and found stuff that I shouldn’t have mowed over. No barb wire but plenty of rocks, 2 small wheels/tires and a few small but pretty hard logs.

Fortunately, once the area was hogged I was able to keep it up so I can see stuff now.

MoKelly

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #205  
Well ................. here's mine. Sorry no pics ( at the time wasn't in the mood). Switching my 3pt chipper out, I backed it nicely into the implement shed, disengaged my Pats easy hitches, and dropped the hitch arms and lowered the foot which supports the chipper from falling over. Feeling smug about how smooth that went I drove away. Perhaps right about now your are thinking, SO! Well, I neglected to disengage the top link. Quicker than I could process what was happening the there was a crashing noise and the machine tipped over and jammed the discharge chute between my rear tire and the link arm. Stopping the tractor and surveying the damage I surmised that disconnecting the top link and driving away would further damage the chipper discharge chute. What ensued was a wasted 1/2 day of rigging the chipper up with come a-longs, ( weighs 900lbs +/-) and a trip to Tractor Supply for a new Top Link. ($29).

Oh - and a bruised ego, and hopefully a lesson learned ( although at my age that is doubtful)

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #206  
Well ................. here's mine. Sorry no pics ( at the time wasn't in the mood). Switching my 3pt chipper out, I backed it nicely into the implement shed, disengaged my Pats easy hitches, and dropped the hitch arms and lowered the foot which supports the chipper from falling over. Feeling smug about how smooth that went I drove away. Perhaps right about now your are thinking, SO! Well, I neglected to disengage the top link. Quicker than I could process what was happening the there was a crashing noise and the machine tipped over and jammed the discharge chute between my rear tire and the link arm. Stopping the tractor and surveying the damage I surmised that disconnecting the top link and driving away would further damage the chipper discharge chute. What ensued was a wasted 1/2 day of rigging the chipper up with come a-longs, ( weighs 900lbs +/-) and a trip to Tractor Supply for a new Top Link. ($29).

Oh - and a bruised ego, and hopefully a lesson learned ( although at my age that is doubtful)
I thought you were going to say that you hadn't disconnected the PTO shaft.
NOT that I would know anything about that...

Can you believe that hydraulic hoses are strong enough to drag an 800 lb backhoe?

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #207  
Had a huge pile of tree branches etc that had been sitting for about 12 months drying out and we were going to burn them, Father turns up and tips on 20 litres of petrol and lays a 2 metre trail, fumbling for his matches my brother and I are backing away fairly quickkly and telling not to do it, done lots of times he said as he struck the match, as he struck it a massive fireball erupted and he was completely engulfed, we felt the force from about 50' away.
The fireball cleared and the old man had been knocked flat on his arse, the timber pile was strewn everywhere and he had lost his eyebrows, apart from being winded he was uninjured and then he claimed it was our fault.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #208  
Here's another, non tractor related one...
While I was growing up my family was big into snowsleds. Our first was a 1966 Arctic Cat which we got for Christmas. I still haven't figured out how they got it under the tree in the living room while we were asleep upstairs...

One day my father told me that the Skidoo was up in the shop if I wanted to use it, as he had greased it and done the first of the winter inspection. I went up and carefully got down on my hands and knees, checking to insure there were no stray tools in front of it or under the track. Then started it and slowly proceeded out the door. Everything seemed fine so when the skis left the garage I punched it. I went about 5 feet more before the rope for the block and tackle he'd used to raise it came to it's end, snubbing up and catapulting me over the formerly undamaged windshield.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #209  
I showed up at a friend's farm once with my 243 Win rifle, and an ammo box of 22-250.

I was there to call coyotes, saw one while opening the gate to go in, scrambled to load the rifle and discovered my goof.

To be fair (to me) I have two identical model rifles in different calibers (22-250 and 243), and brought the wrong ammo.

He was wondering why he didn't hear the shot. I went up to the house and told him, we compensated by spending the rest of the weekend sampling his bourbon collection. So no coyotes were harmed in the making of that weekend.
You brought the right ammo, just grabbed the wrong gun?
My thoughts are that either ammo would work fine as long as you bring the right gun to send them downrange!
David from jax

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #210  
Drove my ATV across my big lake. Retrieving a friends goose decoys. I went out on the ATV because I had checked - eleven inches of ice. About 6" on snow on top of the ice. Spring area(s) could not be seen.

I NEVER knew the big lake had springs like my little lake. My yellow lab pulled me out on top of the ice - saved my azz. Duck boat got to the floating ATV. Long rope and tractor pulled the ATV onto the shore.

Oil change and dry air filter - good as new.

I was very lucky. Tried three time to pull myself up onto the ice. The ice was very thin at this spring location. Would not support my weight. Yellow lab was fifty feet away, on the shore, watching all of this. I called him and he came right out to where I was. I grabbed his collar - this scared the snot outa him. He threw it into 4WD reverse - I slid right out onto the firmer ice. After the third time I was in a state of complete exhaustion. Without the dogs help - I probably wouldn't be telling this story.

The lab - Sam - had a char broiled T-bone steak for dinner that night.

Last edited: