Stupid Things I Have Done

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #481  
The only time I'll wear my wedding band at work is if I know I'm gonna be in meetings or a classroom setting all day.im a mechanic and have seen photos of the after effects of someone catching their ring.
My first weeding band was mailed out with some phone bills (working theory) the replacement lived in drawer until my wife lost hers and started wearing it.
It's been 35 years and still going....

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #482  
This is really stupid.

We just moved into a vacation place in Florida. Great weather and never had the heater on. Had the a/c going a few times.

Last week it got a little cool and my wife turned on the heater. I go outside and hear the a/c unit fan motor going. Thought my wife mistakenly turned on the a/c v. heat.

Go inside and see the heat was indeed on.

Huh?

Call the a/c place and say something is wrong.
The heat is on but the outside a/c unit is running.

The nice tech says - “sir, you have a heat pump. The outside unit always runs when the heat is on”.

Sure enough.

Would have only felt more stupid had the guy actually came to the house.

Never had a heat pump before.
Not being used to a heat pump in our last house I did something similar

In the winter, we had the heat running.

Was outside and walked past the unit just as it went into defrost mode.

Well all of a sudden the unit let out this God awful squeal

Scared the living daylights out of me. I thought the motor was fixing to seize.

I freaked, call the heating and air conditioning company and explained what was going on.

Guy asked if the motor started running again???

I said yes, as a matter of fact it did.

That's when he explained about the defrost mode when it's set to heat.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done
Not being used to a heat pump in our last house I did something similar

In the winter, we had the heat running.

Was outside and walked past the unit just as it went into defrost mode.

Well all of a sudden the unit let out this God awful squeal

Scared the living daylights out of me. I thought the motor was fixing to seize.

I freaked, call the heating and air conditioning company and explained what was going on.

Guy asked if the motor started running again???

I said yes, as a matter of fact it did.

That's when he explained about the defrost mode when it's set to heat.

Wow. Glad you let me know. I haven’t heard that yet!

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #488  
Wow. Glad you let me know. I haven’t heard that yet!
The simplest way to explain it is the unit runs one direction while heating. The opposite direction when cooling.

It's basically switching where it bleeds off the access heat. Whether it's inside or out depends on whether it's heating or cooling.

When it's set to heat, the outside unit is basically being the AC unit and it's bleeding off the heat generated inside your home and the cold outside.

The outside unit will switch itself from heat to cool automatically to defrost the outside unit.

The noise is the sudden stop and start back up when it switches from heat to cool outside.

Inside during the defrost cycle, it utilizes the heat strips inside so it doesn't start cooling down your home.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #489  
The only time I'll wear my wedding band at work is if I know I'm gonna be in meetings or a classroom setting all day.im a mechanic and have seen photos of the after effects of someone catching their ring.
I caught mine on a hot wire decades ago and it was the second time. If you have the time, the scarring and discoloration of your finger goes away in about 15 years. Haven't worn one since. :)

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #490  
I caught mine on a hot wire decades ago and it was the second time. If you have the time, the scarring and discoloration of your finger goes away in about 15 years. Haven't worn one since. :)
Coworker did that when I worked for an alarm company.

Had a coworker also crush his ring when I worked for the carpenters union in my mid 20's

Took three guys to hold him down to cut it off. And that's after we called his wife and she came to the jobsite to talk some sense into him. She said grab him and cut the ring off

He was dead set on not taking off his wedding band it meant so much to him.

His wife told him, it won't mean much if he loses his ring finger because he's being stubborn.

An employee with the company I currently work for caught his ring when he jumped out of a scissor lift.

He shared the after photos on the companies Facebook site. I actually printed off the photos and shared them in a morning meeting since we had a couple guys that wouldn't abide by the no jewelry policy at work.

Those photos will set you straight