Stupid Things I Have Done

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #533  
Wow. That should be required viewing for forklift operators at warehouses!

Due to earthquake risks, there are extra reinforcement required for pallet racks in California, but I wouldn't take any bets that it couldn't happen here.

All the best,

Peter

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #534  
Wow. That should be required viewing for forklift operators at warehouses!

Due to earthquake risks, there are extra reinforcement required for pallet racks in California, but I wouldn't take any bets that it couldn't happen here.

All the best,

Peter
At the newspaper we had to stack paper rolls on end, 4 high. Never a problem. The problem happened a couple times when the clamp truck operator was moving through low ceiling areas and clipped sprinkler pipes causing quick flooding. Yikes! You'd be amazed at the number and size of roaches that live in paper warehouses. :eek:

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #535  
At the newspaper we had to stack paper rolls on end, 4 high. Never a problem. The problem happened a couple times when the clamp truck operator was moving through low ceiling areas and clipped sprinkler pipes causing quick flooding. Yikes! You'd be amazed at the number and size of roaches that live in paper warehouses. :eek:
Not me... worked in bulk mail industry for over 20 years.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #536  
Having been in a newspaper plant, and a paper mill, no, I don't think I would be either...😱😉

Being a clamp operator always struck me as being much, much harder than it looks because of the weight/inertia of the rolls. Rather like trying to gently berth a large boat.

All the best,

Peter

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #537  
A full roll is 4 pages wide.

We put one on it's end, then grab a second roll and place that on top of the first.

Then we'd turn a third roll on it's end, then grab a fourth roll and place that on top of the third.

Finally, we'd grab the third roll with the fourth balanced on top of it, and place the third roll on the second roll.

Four high.

3/4 rolls went 5 high.

Half rolls were a little more tricky, as they went 8 high.

Dinkies, which are single sheet in width, but are wrapped together like half rolls.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #538  
While the forklift operator triggered the catastrophe, this is really the fault of the warehouse planners and engineers. Of course a warehouse completely dedicated to picking and placing product on racks and mezzanines via forklift are going to take an occasional bump from a forklift operator, it is 100% inevitable. How could the racking be designed and installed so poorly that one little bump brings down the entire warehouse?

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #539  
Years ago I bought a Clark propane forklift and a 6'5" 400# friend stopped by, asking for a ride. I lifted him fully up then wide open up & down driveway. It turned out OK but stupid looking back.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #540  
A small stupid thing I do with alarming frequency is, when I’m driving and have to move the sun visor around to block the sun, I’ll be careful to not push the garage door opener buttons so as to not accidentally open the garage door…..even though I may be a hundred miles away from the garage.