Subaru mechanic or experience on here?

/ Subaru mechanic or experience on here?
Thanks for all the reports! Sounds like the Sube AWD is the very best and I'm satisfied now that the CVT and head gaskets won't be a problem. Now just gotta hear a little more experience about the oil issues and then decide between the 2.0L turbo and the 2.5 H4. I figure that Sube has the ins-and-outs of turbos pretty well figured out by now. The direct injection is a little concerning since some manuf have had issues with intake valve coking, so with my criteria the 2.5 sequential injection normally aspirated probably makes the most sense.

- Jay

/ Subaru mechanic or experience on here? #32  
We bought a new 2015 Outback a year ago--smaller engine, no GPS, leather, sunroof. We love it. We looked at every other option before buying the Outback. My wife has a bad neck. No other vehicle was as comfortable or rode as nice. Also, she wanted light exterior color, not white, and a light tan interior. Very few companies had that color/ interior options. Now, we were limited to looking at SUV-type/crossovers in the $30k+- range. We've put 30,000 miles on it without an issue. We still talk about how much we like it and and are happy we didn't buy a Toyota, Honda, Mazda, GM, Kia, etc., etc., all of which we test drove and researched. Plus Subaru had 0% financing for 4 years so it was an easy buy--our first brand new car ever.

I researched the head gasket issue and that's been resolved. I learned of the oil consumption issue and was initially pissed because I assumed it applied to my 2015. But upon further review it appears it is a limited problem and does not affect the 2015s. I talked to my dealer here in KC and was told that they were aware of the issue but had not seen a single case/claim of excess consumption and they believed it was limited to a load of vehicles delivered on the east coast. We'll see. The problem is bad oil ring quality and was a production issue. The company is standing behind its engines and replacing the rings, which is the right thing to do, but I understand how it would be a concern. Nobody wants a new engine torn down. Ours doesn't use a drop of oil between 7500 mile changes and the reports I read said this is a problem out of the box if its going to occur.

We'd buy another and I'd buy a use Brat (or whatever they are called) if I ran across one.

/ Subaru mechanic or experience on here? #33  
Thanks for all the reports! Sounds like the Sube AWD is the very best and I'm satisfied now that the CVT and head gaskets won't be a problem. Now just gotta hear a little more experience about the oil issues and then decide between the 2.0L turbo and the 2.5 H4. I figure that Sube has the ins-and-outs of turbos pretty well figured out by now. The direct injection is a little concerning since some manuf have had issues with intake valve coking, so with my criteria the 2.5 sequential injection normally aspirated probably makes the most sense.

- Jay
The turbocharged cars require Premium fuel. Unless you were at altitude or higher performance the NA version is cheaper to buy and operate.

Toyota has a stake in Subaru and I believe Direct Injection is one of the areas of technology transfer. The Subaru sports car also sold as a Scion has the chassis designed by Subaru and then it was handed over to Toyota for styling.

/ Subaru mechanic or experience on here? #34  
Outback 3.0R, this weekend. :D Still runs like a top.

i-nP5nZgX-L.jpg

/ Subaru mechanic or experience on here? #36  
Yeah, but they put the gas tank filler on the wrong side.:thumbdown:
Not if you go to Costco. Most cars have fillers on the left so the lines are huge (since regular was $1.89). Cars with fillers on the right might wait a car or two.

Most German cars also have fillers on the right, supposedly to make emergency refueling safer. Most American cars are on the left (for convenience, you have to walk a whole five extra steps), and other Japanese cars usually have them on the left as the US market prefers it. At home they drive on the right.

/ Subaru mechanic or experience on here? #37  
First post here. I've owned three Subarus over the years, all Imprezas, and have loved each one. If they would make a truck, I wouldn't buy anything but Subaru.

We will be pulling the trigger on a new Forester 2.5i Touring Edition on Friday as long as the weather cooperates. Our dealer is having the exact one we want transferred in from another dealer. I am convinced that the head gasket issues are resolved as of several years ago, and the oil consumption issues were evidently due to a short-lived bad batch of oil control rings, so we are looking forward to a LONG life. Hated to go all the way up to the heavily-optioned Touring model, but that was the only way to get the dual-zone HVAC, which we both really wanted. They also gradually wore me down and convinced me that the EyeSight option was a really worthwhile safety feature.

Thanks for all the very useful input!

- Jay

p.s. I forgot to add two things; 1) the dealer wasn't real interested in taking in the OEM tires to trade up to something better, so I've got a deal worked out with a local tire tire shop to bring it in as soon as I get it and give me a decent take-off price for the OEMs in trade for some Michelin Premier A/S tires. It hurts to only get about $60ea for almost brand-new takeoffs, but I really don't want to hassle with selling them myself. 2) the dealer was really awesome (Kelly Subaru, Chattanooga, TN) with letting us take a VERY extended (200mi+) test drive in one of their demos. This gave us a chance to work out the CVT up the LONG steep grades that we have to cover on each TN-GA trip. No rubber-bandiness at all; very smooth and reassuring. Really almost just like a 6 speed automatic. And I intentionally stopped halfway up the steepest part of our loose-gravel road, and started off from there. No slippage or wheelspin AT ALL. Very impressive. And we now wonder how we have ever managed to survive without HEATED SEATS! Ahhhhhhh!

Last edited:
   / Subaru mechanic or experience on here? #39  
Yeah, but they put the gas tank filler on the wrong side.:thumbdown:

I agree whole heartedly.

I use about 1qt ever 2500 miles.
My biggest complaint is the cheap fabric used in the seats of my 09 Legacy. Wore out in 3yrs. My 03 Trailblazer(200k) and 04 Suburban (141k) still have fabric that looks new.

I agree whole heartedly.

I use about 1qt ever 2500 miles.
My biggest complaint is the cheap fabric used in the seats of my 09 Legacy. Wore out in 3yrs. My 03 Trailblazer(200k) and 04 Suburban (141k) still have fabric that looks new.

We try to use Costco for fuel whenever possible, so it will only take a LITTLE getting used to:). And the Touring has leather so hopefully it will hold up OK:confused3:. I've seen so-so reports on both on the ForesterOwners.org website.

- Jay