Submersible well pump went out, thoughts?

/ Submersible well pump went out, thoughts? #31  
There's a problem with the pump since the piece of teflon I found in the flow restrictor came from somewhere, so the pump has to come up no matter what...

Good to know I should be able to hand pull it, I'm very handy so I'm not too scared but it's still something new...
It could be a leaky foot valve. Call an expert and get his opinion.

/ Submersible well pump went out, thoughts? #32  
The water pressure dropped sometime last week so I finally looked into it today and the pressure tank is fine, pressure switch is fine but it would only get to 30psi and the pump was running constant so I went further up the line and found a piece of teflon in the flow restrictor, thought it was from the check valve, nope... I do have a sand problem (or did for a few years after I moved in) so the pump apparently can't make pressure anymore and lost a part of it... I bought the house in '14 and the well was put in the year before that so it isn't that old, the well is around 100' deep if memory serves. I lowered the pressure switch setpoint so it turns off at 30psi and on at 20 so it's at least not running constantly anymore...

So, I know I gotta get a new pump, current is a 3/4hp 4" 3 wire unit since it has a control box and I checked and it has 3 wires plus ground... Home Depot has a pump for $479, Lowes has one for $469, Amazon has them for $200 on up... Which way would you go?

If it was installed in '13 is it likely iron pipe or plastic? The roof panel on the pump house is easy to get off so I'm not worried about that. I didn't think of pulling the cap off the tube when I had the check valve off...
I would only buy an American-made pump if you can find one. That is too much labor to do it again because of a cheap pump. AND! Check the pipe from the pump when you pull it. Many installers use PVC and it has been known to crack due to the torque of the pump. If cracked, it could be leaking inside the well. When I replace mine I plan to use PEX.

/ Submersible well pump went out, thoughts? #33  
Not sure of your well output and other factors. I like the Grundfos constant pressure pump system. Uses less power and the pressure and flow is steady. Low starting torque also. Might be worth looking into.

/ Submersible well pump went out, thoughts? #34  
The water pressure dropped sometime last week so I finally looked into it today and the pressure tank is fine, pressure switch is fine but it would only get to 30psi and the pump was running constant so I went further up the line and found a piece of teflon in the flow restrictor, thought it was from the check valve, nope... I do have a sand problem (or did for a few years after I moved in) so the pump apparently can't make pressure anymore and lost a part of it... I bought the house in '14 and the well was put in the year before that so it isn't that old, the well is around 100' deep if memory serves. I lowered the pressure switch setpoint so it turns off at 30psi and on at 20 so it's at least not running constantly anymore...

So, I know I gotta get a new pump, current is a 3/4hp 4" 3 wire unit since it has a control box and I checked and it has 3 wires plus ground... Home Depot has a pump for $479, Lowes has one for $469, Amazon has them for $200 on up... Which way would you go?

If it was installed in '13 is it likely iron pipe or plastic? The roof panel on the pump house is easy to get off so I'm not worried about that. I didn't think of pulling the cap off the tube when I had the check valve off....
Sounds like the pump impeller is coming apart. Usually you start getting what the well drillers call chicken feathers in faucets and etc. I had that problem a few years ago and had to have the well pulled and they replaced the pump. Not the motor. If the impeller isn't pumping enough you would loose pressure as well. If you are planning on pulling the motor yourself, I don't know what to tell you about the motor purchase. Good luck

/ Submersible well pump went out, thoughts? #35  

If it was installed in '13 is it likely iron pipe or plastic? The roof panel on the pump house is easy to get off so I'm not worried about that. I didn't think of pulling the cap off the tube when I had the check valve off...
Sounds partially plugged or wore out if you had sand problem.

/ Submersible well pump went out, thoughts? #36  
Can you explain "pump saver" and "booster pump"?

/ Submersible well pump went out, thoughts? #37  
I'm thinking that jedigene has the most likely call. Impellers wear, especially if they're seeing lots of sand/grit: note that in this case you want to pull the pump up more, if possible (depends on draw-down and static levels). Foot valve also a high-suspect target.

To the person saying that 3/4hp was too big- no, that's a reasonable size. Depends on static water level to ground level (and then, again, the draw-down rate).

/ Submersible well pump went out, thoughts? #38  
I'm thinking that jedigene has the most likely call. Impellers wear, especially if they're seeing lots of sand/grit: note that in this case you want to pull the pump up more, if possible (depends on draw-down and static levels). Foot valve also a high-suspect target.

To the person saying that 3/4hp was too big- no, that's a reasonable size. Depends on static water level to ground level (and then, again, the draw-down rate).
Great points. It also depends on how far and how high the water has to go after it comes out of the well.

Hard to know at a distance, with more details.

All the best,

Peter

/ Submersible well pump went out, thoughts? #39  

But the best and have a happy wife! Monarch or jacuzzi

/ Submersible well pump went out, thoughts? #40  
Per the OP "after the well casing there's a stainless check valve, a flow restrictor, then a centrifugal sand filter with auto drain cycle (sand wore out the seals, need to address that but those things are dumb expensive...), then goes to the pressure tank (says 84 gal total capacity, it's over 5' tall), then a sock filter, then a pleated filter, then the water softener then a 5 micron filter then to the house."

This is not a straight forward system with a sand separation system inline with the pump and lots of filters. Many potential points to cause problems. With the setup being - 1 pump > 2 sand filter in series > 3 pressure tank > 4 Sock filter > 5 In line pleated filter > 6 water softener > and finally the 5Micron filter > then to house supply

I agree the sand likely wore out the pump, thus low amperage as well (not pumping much water). As suggested raise or lift the pump out of the sand if possible say 10-15 ft then run the new pump not connected to anything to see how clear the water is.

Also OP stated pressure tank pre charge is set at 35 PSI, and pump switch set at 20 PSI on / 30 PSI off, which if this is the case, the bladder tank will never fill with water. The pre charge pressure needs to be 18PSI with a 20 PSI switch cut in. This likely caused the pump to turn on/off all the time when water is drawn.

So raising the pump above the sand if possible, and getting the pressure switch and tank set correctly is a good starting point. The sand separation system and filters are another matter to resolve - not a simple system!