Sudden Overheating... dropped fanbelt?

/ Sudden Overheating... dropped fanbelt? #1  

Gadgetnut

Silver Member
Tractor
Walker Mower MD (Kubota,) BobCat ToolCat 5600 Turbo rev. C, John Deere tractor
I was in ToolCat about 8 hours today moving wood around with the Anbo farm grapple. Towards the end of my day, a red warning light illuminated on the dash, then shortly a warning beep started. I noticed engine temp. was in the red. I shut down.

I have been working in pretty dusty/dirty environment and it's been a week or so since I cleaned the screen under the dumping bed. I waited fifteen minutes, let 'er cool down, then restarted just long enough to raise the bed.

I put in the hydraulic strut support, then took out the screen and cleaned it. It was dusty/dirty but not especially bad. Anyway I cleaned it and put everything back together. By the time I restarted engine temp was back in the middle green like ususal, so I began another debris run. By the time I travelled a quarter mile, the temp was rising again. I shut down the machine and left it in the back forty for overnight. I walked back to the area where the problem first presented itself and I found an intact fan belt on the ground.

The fan belt is forty inches in circumference and has little teeth on the inside. I just got in and haven't looked it up in the owners manual yet.

I have no idea why this would have been pulled off. I had just dumped the bed. I've been moving sticks and branches all day-- maybe a branch got tangled in the belt then pulled it off when I lifted the dump bed. You you could imagine it breaking under that force.

I guess this is the fanbelt? Easy to put back on?! Thanks.

/ Sudden Overheating... dropped fanbelt?
I was in ToolCat about 8 hours today moving wood around with the Anbo farm grapple. Towards the end of my day, a red warning light illuminated on the dash, then shortly a warning beep started. I noticed engine temp. was in the red. I shut down.

I have been working in pretty dusty/dirty environment and it's been a week or so since I cleaned the screen under the dumping bed. I waited fifteen minutes, let 'er cool down, then restarted just long enough to raise the bed.

I put in the hydraulic strut support, then took out the screen and cleaned it. It was dusty/dirty but not especially bad. Anyway I cleaned it and put everything back together. By the time I restarted engine temp was back in the middle green like ususal, so I began another debris run. By the time I travelled a quarter mile, the temp was rising again. I shut down the machine and left it in the back forty for overnight. I walked back to the area where the problem first presented itself and I found an intact fan belt on the ground.

The fan belt is forty inches in circumference and has little teeth on the inside. I just got in and haven't looked it up in the owners manual yet.

I have no idea why this would have been pulled off. I had just dumped the bed. I've been moving sticks and branches all day-- maybe a branch got tangled in the belt then pulled it off when I lifted the dump bed. You you could imagine it breaking under that force.

I guess this is the fanbelt? Easy to put back on?! Thanks.

/ Sudden Overheating... dropped fanbelt? #3  
Gadgetnut,

Don't think the owner's manual will cover the belt routing or installation.

I have all the manuals for my unit. Not sure if they cover the turbo version or not but I will check tomorrow and let you know.

dsb

/ Sudden Overheating... dropped fanbelt? #4  
Gadgetnut,

Don't think the owner's manual will cover the belt routing or installation.

I have all the manuals for my unit. Not sure if they cover the turbo version or not but I will check tomorrow and let you know.

dsb

/ Sudden Overheating... dropped fanbelt? #5  
My manual only covers the V2203 (non-turbo).

FWIW, a quick look under the dump box on mine leads me to believe I could change out the water pump/alternator belt in a couple of minutes. Looks pretty accessible. I could also see where a good sized stick could be the culprit on a belt gone astray. Good luck.

dsb

/ Sudden Overheating... dropped fanbelt? #6  
My manual only covers the V2203 (non-turbo).

FWIW, a quick look under the dump box on mine leads me to believe I could change out the water pump/alternator belt in a couple of minutes. Looks pretty accessible. I could also see where a good sized stick could be the culprit on a belt gone astray. Good luck.

dsb

Thanks for the legwork, dsb. The Bobcat is back in operation and parked at the barn instead of out in the field. Pretty tight fit trying to get the thing back on, but got the fanbelt reinstalled. The alternator was not loose. It was tight in a middle position-- seemingly where the fanbelt ought to have had adequate tension. Don't know why it came off yesterday. All I've been doing is moving stumps, limbs, and twigs-- I suppose a branch got in there and derailed the fanbelt. Oh, well. Back in operation. Later this week comes the ToolCat's 50 hour maintenance service.

Thanks for the legwork, dsb. The Bobcat is back in operation and parked at the barn instead of out in the field. Pretty tight fit trying to get the thing back on, but got the fanbelt reinstalled. The alternator was not loose. It was tight in a middle position-- seemingly where the fanbelt ought to have had adequate tension. Don't know why it came off yesterday. All I've been doing is moving stumps, limbs, and twigs-- I suppose a branch got in there and derailed the fanbelt. Oh, well. Back in operation. Later this week comes the ToolCat's 50 hour maintenance service.

/ Sudden Overheating... dropped fanbelt? #9  
I have a 5600 Toolcat with 240 hours. It has chronic over heating problems. Bobcat put on a screen kit, extra rubber and after 3 hours of mowing the radiator is full of grass and dust. It has been in repair 4 different times for this problem. Does anyone else have this problem?

/ Sudden Overheating... dropped fanbelt? #10  
I have a 5600 Toolcat with 240 hours. It has chronic over heating problems. Bobcat put on a screen kit, extra rubber and after 3 hours of mowing the radiator is full of grass and dust. It has been in repair 4 different times for this problem. Does anyone else have this problem?